Computer shut off, won't turn back on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I'm posting from my laptop at the moment. The rig in my sig is not working.

Tonight, I was just browsing the net and suddenly it just shut off. I figured it was just a crash, so I turned it back on, it turned on for about 4 seconds and then shut back off. So I waited a minute, turned it on, it stayed on for 2 seconds and shut off. And it got progressively worse from there, until it did nothing when I hit the power button.

On the motherboard there is a yellow led that is flashing somewhat erradically when I turn on the power supply switch. I "believe" that it's usually solid, though I only really remember the blue led that's always on.

I'm thinking that it's either a fried motherboard or power supply. And I want to lean toward motherboard since the led's are still on, indicating power from the psu.

Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Sounds like PSU to me. If your motherboard died it wouldn't progressively get worse, it would just stop working. Get a new PSU

Ugh, I think i'm inclined to agree with you. I've been messing with it a bit, tried another outlet plug, no dice. It seems as if it's shorting out, and blowing a breaker. The longer I let it sit, the longer it will turn on for. But never more than a few seconds.

I will be really upset if it's a bad PSU. It's only a year old as of late December '08. The whole reason I went with the more expensive PCP&C is because I had a no-name brand die out on me after a year of use beforehand. Is there any PSU that will last more than a **** year??

There's a 5-year warranty on it, but wtf ya know? I don't want to have to do this yearly. The last time the PSU went, it took the hard drive with it. I really hope it didn't this time, if thats the case.

Ok so I went out today and bought an Antec 500 Watt PSU from Staples, put it in, and...same problem. So i'm about to go return it now, but in my view this leaves the motherboard at fault. There's power to it, as I had originally thought, but it's not getting to the places it needs to be. No fans turn on, no case lights, nothing except the blue led motherboard light and skiddish amber led.

And of course this all happens less than 30 days after the 1 year warranty expires on everything through NewEgg.

Sound right?

Well I see there isn't much help coming for me here, so i'll just keep updating what's going on until I find a solution so maybe someone else can use it at some point.

I called eVGA technical support and we tried a few things. Ended up RMA'ing the motherboard (THANK YOU eVGA 2 year warranty!!!) because he said it's either the motherboard or the processor causing the problem.

I argued the point that if it were the processor, I would think the motherboard fans would work and it would just be a no post situation. He said its possible the processor has a short and is shutting everything off by itself. But still said to RMA the mainboard. Does that sound possible to anyone else? Didn't seem likely to me.

Ok so I went out today and bought an Antec 500 Watt PSU from Staples, put it in, and...same problem. So i'm about to go return it now, but in my view this leaves the motherboard at fault. There's power to it, as I had originally thought, but it's not getting to the places it needs to be. No fans turn on, no case lights, nothing except the blue led motherboard light and skiddish amber led.

And of course this all happens less than 30 days after the 1 year warranty expires on everything through NewEgg.

Sound right?

Well it does sound like the motherboard to me, if you tried a brand new PSU. But, maybe you could take out the CPU, and reseat it. Couldn't hurt to try.

Thye 680i has the mb error code screen. You might have been able to code it off that.

Well I still have the motherboard, so i'll look into that. But I don't think I can get to any code screen since theres absolutely no power coming through the motherboard. Unless its like an old car where it will flash the leds for the code numbers lol.

Thanks for the reseat the CPU idea, i'll give it a shot. Not like it would be a waste of time, it'll be at least a week before I see that new motherboard.

Sometimes that's all it is, reseating. But if that isn't it you can at least rule that out as I mentioned. Let us know how it goes, whether this mobo turns out ok after reseating the CPU, or barring that, when you get your new mobo.

Sometimes that's all it is, reseating. But if that isn't it you can at least rule that out as I mentioned. Let us know how it goes, whether this mobo turns out ok after reseating the CPU, or barring that, when you get your new mobo.

About to get started on that in a few minutes. In the meantime, however, I just ordered a new motherboard. Gigabyte P45. If the reseating works out, i'll just cancel the RMA and the new board. If not, i'll use the Gigabyte and sell the 680i when it comes in. Just because once something fails on me, I don't want to use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom