Dell 1000w psu and GTX 285 in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH3N0M

In Runtime
I presently own (2) XFX XXX Edition GTX260's and have them in SLI. I'm wanting to purchase a couple of the new GTX 285's for an SLI configuration.

My specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (x86)
nForce4 590i SLI
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 @ 3.2ghz
4gb DDR2-667
2 - 80gb Raptors in RAID0 (10,000rpm/each)
2 - 320gb Caviars in RAID0 (7,200rpm/each)
2 - XFX XXX Edition GTX 260's in SLI
3 - DVD/CD combo drives

Here is what my PSU says:

DSC08505w.jpg

For one (1) GTX 285, the minimum power supply requirement is 650w.

What I want to know is, will my 1000w psu be enough to power everything in my case along with (2) of the GTX285's in SLI?

You have 5 18a rails. The 285 actually only requires roughly the same power draw as the 260, so you should be good to go.

It depends on the power efficiency of your PSU. Some PSU's say 1000 watts, but can they actually deliver that in actual continuous power?

If money's no object, PC Power and Cooling Turbocool 1200W will give you the stable power you need, but that's like a $500 part so... It all depends on how well your current PSU performs.

Upgrade your ram to some 1066mhz sticks.
How much difference will that actually make, though? I remember reading some benchmark thing a while ago when they cut the speed of 800 RAM in half, and it made a 3% dent in performance.

Sorry for the OT post :( Just curious, I may upgrade my RAM in that case.

On topic, assuming your PSU is decently built, it should handle it easily.

There would be little increase in performance, so little that you wouldn't tell from using your computer. But it would probably give you some extra points on a benchmark score like 3DMark, especially if you tighten the timings.

But 1066 ram is also a good choice if you are running a high FSB on the cpu. And depending on your FSB:RAM ratio, you would need 1066 ram to reach high clock speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom