IIS Local Testing Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoobieRat

Fully Optimized
Not sure if this is the right channel for this, but I'm sure it can be changed if not...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to setup an IIS local testing server (phantom test server) on my machine for testing ASP scripts, doing database web-work, etc. (FYI, I use Dreamweaver MX, and the databases are small so I use MS-Access, through a ASP-VBScript connection.)

I've never used IIS for doing this, so I haven't a clue on how to go about it and I'm running into problems (specifically 500 errors when i try to view ASP pages). The setup is confusing, and there's a lot of doco but it's just too much for my time. All I want is to be able to setup a local testing website to run ASP scripts to connect to a database and do stuff (passwords, searches, etc) before I publish to my site.

Anyone done this before? I could use a good step-by-step (for XP-Pro).

:eek:

what version of IIS? sounds like a coding issue. make sure you remove the check from "show friendly http error"... or its something like that.

IIS 5.1

I don't really know how to setup IIS, let alone how to setup a website to run on it. All I know is some random bits I've gotten from Dreamweaver's manuals and the Internet.

well, setup IE to NOT show friendly HTTP errors, that way if its in the code written, it will show you were the blow out is.

I removed the "show friendly HTTP messages" but I still run into this: "Server Application Error"

The event logs for my machine's system throws up the following warnings:

(Fuse is the name of the virtual directory I created.)

Warning:
"The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Fuse'. The error was 'The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password."

Error:
"DCOM got error "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. " and was unable to logon .\IWAM_XXXXXX in order to run the server:"

Okay. Identity problem in DCOM. I've gone to RUN: "inetmgr" to open the IIS manager, navigated to Web Sites->Dafault Web Site->Fuse

Now what?

try running synciwam.vbs using wscript and cscript... my thinking is that the IWAM_machine is not associated properly

Got it!

The problem was I had an error in the ASP script. Since I don't know much ASP myself, I've been using Dreamweaver's ASP modules, and during the testing I accidentally didn't cleanly remove one and some legacy code was hanging out. Once I made up a clean ASP script, it worked like a dream...

killians45 said:
what version of IIS? sounds like a coding issue. make sure you remove the check from "show friendly http error"... or its something like that.

heh, thats what this comment I wrote here was for, coding issue. ;) glad it worked out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom