I have been getting high temperatures and lock ups during games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chziime

Baseband Member
I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra, 3500+ with Thermaltake HSF and thermal paste, a Lian-Li v1000 case with 2 12cm built-in fans, and an Asus A8V Deluxe socket 939 motherboard with cool+quiet on. My Cpu starts at something like 43 when I turn on the computer, and gets to 49 eventually idle. It can get to 64 idle during games, and that's on 1024x768. On 1600x1200, games lock up and restart the computer something. I'm not OC'ing at all. Looking at the case temp, I don't think the HSF fan is the problem; maybe the v1000 case don't have sufficient cooling for high resolution and graphic games. I don't know much about working on the inside of a computer, but with enough instructions I guess I can. What can I do to help?

BTW, this computer was custom-made from www.monarchcomputer.com

First off, i would remove the side panel from the computer and try to run it like that. If that fixes your problem, then you should install some more case fans and try to organize your wires better( like using cable ties to bundle the wires so air flows through the computer easier).

If your computer is locking up during games, it could be related to your video card temperature. Thats why i recommended the above. It's also possible that you need to update your drivers. I know it sounds unlikley, but it's worth checking into.

If that doesn't help then it might be possible that the "cool+quiet" feature on your motherboard is not responding properly and your fan on your processor is simply not blowing enough air to cool the processor. You should be able to check if this feature is enabled/disabled in the BIOS.

Finally, If you bought a custom computer, it should come with some tech support from the Mfg. Try to get in touch with Monarch and see what they'll do for you. :) - Hope this helps -

Yeah Monarch tied off and organized that wires. How would taking a side off of the case work? That sounds strange. Also, my case does not allow any MORE fans. Cool+Quiet is enabled in my BIOS. I'm sure it's working because when I took it off, Far Cry crashed at 1024x768.

Taking the side of your case off allows cooler air to go into the case. With the case closed, your intake fan is it, but if you have hot air problems, opening the case may cool it down. Then you know you have bad air flow.

OK then... which side? The side where the CPU and motherboard is closer to? Should I make such that outside air is going into the opened part?

Like Microbell said, check and make sure the fan is working. How much dust do you have in there? Dust will prevent heat from dissipating so if your computer is dirty.... One thing that works great for clean up is canned air. It will remove the dust from the heatsink. Make sure your PS and video card fans are clean too. 64 is very high for your CPU. I would definitely reseat HSF. Are you using thermal paste or pad? Arctic silver 5 works great and costs only a few bucks.
If your case does not allow for more fans, get the old dremell out and put some holes into it then mount another one (make sure your PS can take on the extra load). You should have both air blowing in (fresh air supply)and air blowing out fans for maximum heat dissipation.

A word of caution. DO NOT use the vaccuum cleaner duster tip to remove dust from your computer. The plastic bristles at the end of the duster create a tremendous amount of static electricity and may damage your components. On that same note, some canned air brands will create moisture. Give it enough time to evaporate before powering up the computer again.

First of all, my computer idles at 43 and eventually 49. 64 is at full load.

Second, if I want to use a thermal pad, I may mess up something. I don't know how to work inside a computer with things like that.

Perhaps you could get a friend that is proficient with computers to look at your heatsink and make sure it is seated properly.

The thermal pad that zerozero reffers to is what manufacturers use on the bottom of a heatsink. It's like tape. A pro would use paste because it transfers heat more efficiently.

BTW, have you disabled your cool+quiet option?

When I disabled Cool+Quiet, my idle was a little bit higher and Far Cry locked up+restarted the computer at just 1024x768.

check the Error Log.A couple of good tests to check your system
Memtest86-Prime95- Looks like your CPU is overheating from your readings.Look in your bios and check your CPU Voltage it should be at 1.5v.If you tried the AI 10% OC and it failed And you put it back to Default it may not have switched back.In Bios select set defaults and reboot/Disable all the nessesary Hardware your not using as usual.Also check your BIOS and Chipset versions for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom