Upgrade questions... Suggestions needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow.. Shows how much I've done my research huh... Ok, you guys are spot on with your recommendations... Appreciated...

Not really, the GTX 295 has leaps and bounds over the 4870, and beats out the x2 4870 as well. For the money, the difference may not be that great of a deal, but he will notice a difference.

Ok, now I'm going back and forth on this and I apologize... How about this idea.. Instead of getting the 295 right now save a little longer, don't sell my video cards, but rather sell off my current mobo, cpu, and memory to put towards a i7 cpu, mobo, and memory..

I know it would be more than the gtx 295 but would the money be better spent there? Any suggestions as to what I should look at buying? I know the i7 920 but what board and memory... Would I need a new heatsink or will my existing work for the i7 as well?

Keep in mind that it will be for gaming, oc'ing, and would like to keep my options open to sli and crossfire in the future to keep the upgrade of video easier in the future.

Is it possible to do this for under $650 or so?

It's not possible to keep that under 650. The CPU itself is 300 bucks, a good mobo is about the same, then the RAM is anywhere from 140 to 250, depending on speed and size.

I would say you would, but it depends on what difference you are looking for.

You'll see a little boost in your gaming, and a big boost in your computing power and efficiency. Those video cards you have already coupled with the i7 will be pretty nice for gaming.

I think going i7 would be a noticable difference. The 920 beats a QX9770 in performance which is over a $1000. But your build should hold up for today's games. If you are willing to spend the cash then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom