Upgrade questions... Suggestions needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
Ok, I've posted many times on wanting to upgrade my video so I've decided on upgrading to a GTX 295.. I expect to have this in a couple of weeks.

Along with this I am thinking I want to switch to a new MB and new RAM as well. This way an easy upgrade in the future would be adding another 295 in sli. Can't do that with my present board as it's crossfire only.

I mainly game and OC.. Right now I have my Q6600 up to 3.6ghz so I'd like a board that would be able to pull that off as well... Should I consider getting rid of the Q6600 as well? It's the older oc'able chip and not the newer one...

So I'm looking for suggestions for MB replacement and memory. Right now I have ddr2 800 so I'd like to go ddr2 1066. What are some good boards and memory I should be looking at. I'm thinking I'll have about $200 to $250 available for this upgrade...

Also looking for suggestions as to how much I should attempt to sell my current MB, memory, and possibly my CPU for... As of right now I only have my 4870's up for sale at $150 each but will negotiate that price. I have one person interested and have discussed lowering the price to something that I believe is fair...

Personally I don't think DDR2/1066 is much of an improvement over DDR2/800 for the price, it will improve overall performance by about 2-3%.
Not too sure on MBs.

I'd say keep your mobo and cpu. Just save your money. You won't see a difference if you get something like a Q9550. With a GTX 295 and your Q6600, it will be plenty for gaming. Then when you want to SLI, go for something like i7. 1066 ram will benefit if you can push that Q6600 to more than 3.6ghz.

Ok, thanks for the input.. I just want sure if the ddr2 800 would be limiting my system in anyway.. More than anything I was wanting the Mobo for the ability to crossfire if I was ever so fortunate to afford another 295...

Well Crossfire is with ATI cards only. And Nvidia cards are SLI. Boards that support Crossfire are P35/P45/X38/X48 etc. And for SLI you would need an Nvidia chipset like 790i/780i/750i etc. But the i7 boards or the the X58 chipsets, support both Crossfire and SLI. Thats why I was saying to just save your money for a i7 setup.

Well, I'll tell you one thing for sure. If you want to go quad-sli, you're going to need a new PSU. Your best bet would be to grab a 1000w.

And as it was mentioned, you may want to upgrade your processor as well when you get the second 295, though I can almost guarantee you won't need a second one. That card can handle just about anything you throw at it by itself, and you dont need more than the PSU you have now.

Save your money, then later on down the pike, when the 295 is cheaper, upgrade your whole system.

Well, I'll tell you one thing for sure. If you want to go quad-sli, you're going to need a new PSU. Your best bet would be to grab a 1000w.

And as it was mentioned, you may want to upgrade your processor as well when you get the second 295, though I can almost guarantee you won't need a second one. That card can handle just about anything you throw at it by itself, and you dont need more than the PSU you have now.

Save your money, then later on down the pike, when the 295 is cheaper, upgrade your whole system.

Ok, forgive my ignorance but would quad sli be adding another 295 or would I have to add three more...

Lol, it would be one more 295. Each of the 295s have 2 gpus onboard...think of them being in SLI. So two 295s would be quad-sli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom