Anybody use a UPS on thier PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricks

Beta member
Was just wondering how many people out there have UPS' on their machines and the brands, sizes etc...

There are two common systems in use today: standby UPS and continuous UPS. A standby UPS runs the computer off of the normal utility power until it detects a problem. At that point, it very quickly (in five milliseconds or less) turns on a power inverter and runs the computer off of the UPS's battery (see How Batteries Work for more information). A power inverter simply turns the DC power delivered by the battery into 120-volt, 60-Hertz AC power.

In a continuous UPS, the computer is always running off of battery power and the battery is continuously being recharged. You could fairly easily build a continuous UPS yourself with a largish battery charger, a battery and a power inverter. The battery charger continuously produces DC power, which the inverter continuously turns back into 120-volt AC power. If the power fails, the battery provides power to the inverter. There is no switch-over time in a continuous UPS. This setup provides a very stable source of power.

Source : HowStuffWorks "How does a computer's uninterruptible power supply (UPS) work?"

UPS = uninterrupted power supply
It is basically a battery system that allows you system to run when the power goes out for enough time to save files and shut it down.

When I lived in Tahoe I would not run a computer without one. We had very dodgy power and it would spike and go out all of the time.

Cyberpower 1350AVR

3236838224_6b159cc6ab.jpg

3235994447_024706769d.jpg

Yeah I run a UPS :S Depending on where you live, if you have at least a semi-expensive rig or even something you don't want to endanger, i'd say you'd be kinda foolish not to at least have some sort of failsafe.
There's power outages plenty of times through the year where i live, big znow/ice storms, or thunderstorms.

I never used to run one, till a power outage/surge fried the crap out of an old system lol. Haven't had to worry since.

I run a 650va just for power filtering. Living in a crappy apt where the power is pretty unstable i'd rather not have a spike fry my 2000 dollar computer and 3000 dollar tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom