Dual CPU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
um... dang, hate to say it but I'd have to disagree with this one :) Here is the reason. Cost wise. Get a high end P4, I'm not sure what it is but lets say a 3.2 Ghz... last time priced about 3 months ago was around $800-$900 for the extreme. Then 2 Xeon at 2.8Ghz run around $650-$700. So, cost its better. Here is the biggie, though. What he is using it for (graphic design, vid editing, autocad maybe??), most of these SUPPORT dual processors thus making the application run MUCH faster. If it didn't support dual procs, then I'd be inclined to agree, but since vid editing and maybe design is involved and much of the advanced edit software can utilize the benefits of dual, then YES, go for dual processors.... NOT a single.

Just a little note...
To my knowledge, no mainstream PC computer can support 24 gigs of RAM. The Mac world has Mac computers that run 8gigs or more, but I have yet to see a mainstream PC that supports more than 4 gigs.

The only machines I've laid my hands on that have more than 6 gigs of RAM (not including macs) are the MPUs I sometimes handle at work, and the ones at Goddard.

I'll most likly be using Adobe Premier. Does this software support dual-proc's?

Thanks for all the help everybody ;-]

yeah I could definitely see how a MySQL database would eat up memory fast especially if you had loads of people accessing it. Were you saying that that board I posted wasn't for CGI? Why would it have an ATI Rage XL onboard graphics card then? [I'm not saying that like NAH YOU'RE WRONG!, I'm just seriously asking]

lol, no I'm not saying that board wouldn't be good. was saying these new CGI pro cards are now taking SERIOUS advantage of memory. 512 VRAM, with additional 128 meg for geo and command string storage (directburst memory)... this is all on the card, plus the card ITSELF takes advantage of 64bit systems and get this... can utilize up to 256GB of virtual memory on 64bit systems!!! I know this is virtual memory and not page swap, but with those memory requirements, CGI is in facea memory hog. The ATI Rage XL though is a mid line graphics card so wouldn't be to good with CGI, but would be perfectly fine on SQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom