side case modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
What is the best clear material to use for the side of cases, plexiglass?

Also what is the best way to cut holes for fans in it without cracking the material?

I way I did mine is first drew a circle then drilled a small hole for a starting point and used a hot knife to cut the hole out. The problem I had at first was the plastic (plexiglass?) wanted to start cracking.

I want to start with a new clean undamaged piece so this time it comes out better.

Well yeah, my initial thought on what material to use while reading your post was Perspex/Plexiglass, so I'd go with another sheet of that.

The best way to cut the whole without cracking the plastic, in my opinion would be to use an electric drill with either a masonry chisel bit or a holesaw bit. This will give you the most accurate and smooth results. Then once you've cut the hole, I'd recommend rounding the edges off with some fine emery cloth.

I hope this helps. If you have any problems, just reply to this post or PM me.

TMT. :cool:

Yeah, Lexan would work great and plus it bends a lot more without breaking unlike plexiglass.

cool, thanks people....i'll find some probably at my local Fry's electronics store (God I love that place!!!!!)

if you need lexan try a place that sells drag racing stuff i have a drag civic and i neede lexan windows becuase it doesnt shatter as easy as plexiglass my local speed shop had it although it was an 8'x10' sheet wich is pretty big

yeah, thats a bit.....HUGE.....but thats a cool source for lexan....maybe they will just have some scraps lying around....what thicknesses does lexan come in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom