Advice needed on what motherboard to get for a new PC with a core 2 quad processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I'm about to buy a new PC, and I have been looking around a lot, so I came to the decision to have a PC buit for me.
I will be using the PC primarily for music home recording.
I want an intel core 2 quad processor, but I need some advice on what motherboard I should get.
Or should I even consider an i7 processor? They are probably still too expensive, so in order to get an i7 I should probably wait another 6 months or so, and I need the new PC eariler!

On one of their offers the store I went to had a MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, which seemd a bit too cheap to me considering it's a pretty powerful PC with a quad processor.
I have been thinkgin of Asus P5Q-E or Asus P5Q PRO, but I'm undecided.
I know I want firewire on it and the possibility of wireless internet.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for a good motherboard that still leaves options for upgrading?
Do I need to look for available PCI slots?

Thanks,
Lars

Re: Advice needed on what motherboard to get for a new PC with a core 2 quad processo

What is your budget ?

I recommend one of these Combo Deals as they will give you discount

Q9400 + BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP P45 Motherboard for $319
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Q9550 + G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066Mhz for $321
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

i7 920 + ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard for $514

Re: Advice needed on what motherboard to get for a new PC with a core 2 quad processo

if ur budget is like 1400$ i got something nice for u!

What is your budget ?

I recommend one of these Combo Deals as they will give you discount

Q9400 + BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP P45 Motherboard for $319

Q9550 + G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066Mhz for $321

i7 920 + ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard for $514

Thanks !
The problem is, I can't order at Newegg, I'm in Europe, shipping costs would take away the benefit of the deal.

Any motherboards in particular you would recommend?
How about the 2 Asus mobo's I mentioned above? Are they good?

What part of Europe are you from?

I think the P5Q-E is an upgraded Pro... I can't exactly say that 100% certainty though

I think the P5Q-E is an upgraded Pro... I can't exactly say that 100% certainty though

you are correct

12045303.png

What part of Europe are you from?

I live in the Netherlands.

So, the P5Q-E would be better, right?
Does is have all the options I want? (Firewire, wireless internet possibility)

It does not have built in Wireless Internet, but you can always use a Wireless PCI Card and get a PCI Firewire Card too :)

Also if you get a case, it usually comes with a Firewire Port to put in the front, then hook it up to your board's header

It does not have built in Wireless Internet, but you can always use a Wireless PCI Card and get a PCI Firewire Card too :)

Also if you get a case, it usually comes with a Firewire Port to put in the front, then hook it up to your board's header

Thanks!

So, would that make any differcne in quality as opposed to on-board Firewire and Wireless internet?

If I get those cards and connect them to PCI slots, that would mean I have 2 PCI slots less available for other potential later upgrades, right?

How many free PCI porst should I still have for future upgrade options?

It makes no difference at all...

Yes, that's exactly what it means...

Depends on the board you choose, but remember that some cards do have multiple things on one card.. and most likely the case you selected has a frontal Firewire Port that you can plug into later on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom