Building a computer for HD video editing and BD authoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, thanks everyone for all the help. Before I decided I needed a new computer it was a supervisor at my local Best Buy suggested that I try a codec to play the .mts files from the AVCHD cams and I discounted the advice thinking that if it was a codec issue that the file would just not play at all. I bought CoreAVC Pro, used it with Media Player Classic and the files played seamlessly. I had codecs to play the files, but they weren't as efficient as CoreAVC (which aggressively de-interlaces) and thus the horrible skipping. So that solved my original problem, but a new computer is still necessary for editing and burning.

The main thing is, you never have enough power. A server that can handle a large company database is not too much. Video editing is a SUPER resource hog. So just max out on how much you have to spend.

Also you might want to wait for that new windows operating system next year (since most video editing programs are windows or apple only). I hear it is okay, and it should allow one to go above 2G, which is the limit of xp, which is the only really reliable windows out there. That would help some.

Finally, is that case big enough, and cool enough? Super hot in there.

The main thing is, you never have enough power. A server that can handle a large company database is not too much. Video editing is a SUPER resource hog. So just max out on how much you have to spend.

Also you might want to wait for that new windows operating system next year (since most video editing programs are windows or apple only). I hear it is okay, and it should allow one to go above 2G, which is the limit of xp, which is the only really reliable windows out there. That would help some.

Finally, is that case big enough, and cool enough? Super hot in there.

Vista works perfectly fine. Ya it uses alot of memory but if he has 6 gigs, its not gonna matter.

For me Vista has been a lot more stable than XP. It does use more ram but if you have 2gb+ your fine.

I don't know everything, but I know vista is VERY controversial, which is why I wouldn't bet 1000 dollars on it. Even a semi pro video editing program will dig up and magnify every flaw in your op system, why take the risk?

Although vista can use lots of memory, that is true.

I am using xp (only 2 G!) and I would use linux except NO major pro editing program runs on linux. And apple you can't build your own box.

Again, just get as much power (cpu, memory) as money can buy and a suitable motherboard. Video editing requires infinite processing power to run smooth, error free and quickly.

If you ever want to go pro, and I don't, $1000 is nothing.

XP was very controversial when it came out to. Also XP is not limited to 2GB of ram, 32bit is limited to 4GB of ram but that gets used by every memory device so with a 512MB graphics card you would have a little less than 3.5GB (depending on everything in your system). XP starter can only use 512MB but he definitely isn't getting that. XP64bit is limited to 128GB but I see no reason to get that since a lot of peoples hate on Vista was against compatibility with older things and XP64 has that problem to. Though I never really had this problem.

There are a few annoying things about Vista but you can turn most of that off and actually just turning off user content control or whatever the thing that asks you to confirm everything is called makes it fine to work with. The only thing that really bugs me is having to select disable digital signature which I barely ever need to do.

But like I said XP crashed far more often on me. Vista may lock up every once in a while but it unlocks where as XP required a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom