Core2QuadEXTREME vs I7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wouldnt say kills...

2.4ghz core i7 920 is on par with 3.1 (or something like that) penryn based cpu (qx9650 and all that good stuff)

There's maybe one test that the QX9770 beats the i7 in, and that's Queens.

EDIT: Scratch that, maybe a few tests. CPU data encryption is lacking on the i7s, and the QX9770 beat the 920 on contact searching. Barely beat the 920 on webpage rendering and PCMark Vantage. But for costing almost 1200 bucks less than the QX9770 and being the budget of the 3 i7s, I think that's pretty good.

In price vs performance, which is a serious factor, despite what the OP thinks, it obviously blows it away.

Ive already read about he comparision btween I7 965 and core 2 Quad EXTREME.........I needed one wid the I 7.........Welll I guess the answer is clear now.......But I'm still wondering........The multiplier on the core 2 is unlocked but the for the I7 is not!!!!!.......Does'nt that make a diffrence????..........and even wid the best CPU cooler available in the world what frequency can the I7 920 and Core 2 Quad EXTREME reach??????

world record qx series
INTEL Core2Quad QX9650 6367.52mhz Phacog33k
France
cooling method LN2

World record i7 920
INTEL Core i7 920 4861.2mhz CDKEY
China
cooling method LN2 F1

source

Yes the 920 multi is locked but the 965 is not. And keep in mind clock for clock the i7 is vastly superior.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:..........those are some big numbers!!!!!!!!..:eek:......No WAY can a CPU be clocked to 4000Ghz!!!!!.....are you sure that thats for one core or is the sum for all the 4 cores in the I7:freak:..................And even if its the sum.......4000 is 2 much man...... no offense but you may have got some decimal placing error:D...............How did the person over clock that Cpu to that hights??????.....which mobo eas he using!!!!!

lol..........:D.......Mhz!!!!......My P4 goes to 4.5 Ghz!!!......what gives???.....I thought the I7 was to be a great at OCing!!!!!......How much can it do wid the stock cooler???? the 920 one!!......

Do not worry so much about speed. Take a look at benchmark scores for the respective cpu's. In superpi 1M for instance a core i7 920 can do a sub 10 second run. The fastest p4 run on our list is 51 seconds. Now that cpu was not clocked at 4.5 only 3.0 but even so it a p4 could not touch the processing power of the i7.

A 920's stock speed is 2.66ghz so an overclock to 4.8 is very impressive. On stock cooling you should have no problem with 3.1 to 3.2 and people with aftermarket coolers are hitting around 3.6. A lot of this depends upon the luck of the draw as to how good the chip you actually get is at overclocking.

lol..........:D.......Mhz!!!!......My P4 goes to 4.5 Ghz!!!......what gives???.....I thought the I7 was to be a great at OCing!!!!!......How much can it do wid the stock cooler???? the 920 one!!......

I'm sorry, I have to say this, please stop using "........" where a period or comma should go.

And yes theres more to a cpu's performance than clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom