Update on my computer - Power Supply Info needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
Ok, so my computer is still not up and running (I took the weekend off from troubleshooting). I just tested my case's PW_Switch cable on my current computer and got LEDs and fans spinning. Case cables ruled out.

I still have the mobo as a possible offender, but I just noticed something else...

My power supply's main mobo connector (the 24 pin molex guy) has a single pin missing...would this account for my computer not getting any power at all? I can't recall whether or not the PSU's been like that from the start, so I still have no way of knowing if the computer's not booting because of a DOA mobo or the PSU.

Any ideas?

The -5 volt on most newer PSU have been removed since it's not really used anymore...that's probably the missing pin that your referring too. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I still think it's more of a mobo issue, anyway for you to get your hands on a known working psu just to test on your machine?

I have the PSU from my Dell Dimension desktop that I'm typing on now...but it's like 7 years old and the PSU connectors don't fit. If the missing pin is normal, then it's gotta be a mobo issue, since I'm sure the PSU works via the paperclip test.

Here's a question for you: a heatsink on my Gigabyte mobo has a few minor scratches on it from installing the Sunbeam Core Contact, and also my firewire cap (the small gray 1394 cap that goes on the mobo connector) is missing...do you think I should anticipate problems RMAing it?

RMA's are always different with company's, you must either search the company about there RMA procedure or talk to a representative. Your part must be under warranty and has to be within a certain time frame as well.

I would just call them up, speak to a rep and tell him/her how you tried troubleshooting everything else and it still would not work. They should then send you a prepaid box or a printable pre-paid shipping label to put on your motherboard retail box. You then just put everything that came with the mobo back in the box and ship it in.

I'm hearing they're a little bit lenient on normal installation wear and tear, also, which is a good thing.

Man, the heatsinks on this thing are a PITA for the Sunbeam Core Contact!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom