custom pc - software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0ob1

Solid State Member
Ive just built my custom pc but im wondering how to install all the software e.t.c. Do i need to install the BIOS, i think that comes already on the motherboard. I have various instalation CD's for the graphics card and motherboard and OS is there any particular order that this needs to be done? Thanks the help

Ive just built my custom pc but im wondering how to install all the software e.t.c. Do i need to install the BIOS, i think that comes already on the motherboard. I have various instalation CD's for the graphics card and motherboard and OS is there any particular order that this needs to be done? Thanks the help

software can be installed in the operating system like windows xp or vista... after windows is installed from the windows installation disc.

Ok, thanks, how about the BIOS? Also the fan's on my chassis are powered using 4 pin molex connectors, my PSU does have these but it also has a P7 cable attatched to the end, do i need to plug this is anywhere? Also my hard drive is plugged in using a SATA cable but it also has a 4 pin molex connector (at least i think it is), i think the SATA also powers the hard drive is this correct? Thanks for the help

Ok, thanks, how about the BIOS? Also the fan's on my chassis are powered using 4 pin molex connectors, my PSU does have these but it also has a P7 cable attatched to the end, do i need to plug this is anywhere? Also my hard drive is plugged in using a SATA cable but it also has a 4 pin molex connector (at least i think it is), i think the SATA also powers the hard drive is this correct? Thanks for the help
No, SATA cables don't provide power, however you should have a SATA power cable which will look something like this:
SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg
http://sierra-cables.com/
See the black end? That's what powers the SATA hard drive. The other end of yours will probably be connected to the power supply, though.

Edit: or, now I think about it, yours might possibly have a 4-pin molex. Easiest way to find out is try a molex :p
- - -
Assuming everything is plugged in correctly and such:

BIOS is already on the motherboard.
Your first step should probably be to see if the thing starts? If it does, it'll complain it can't find an OS.
Then, you install your OS.
After that you should install your motherboard drivers, reboot if it's Windows, install graphics drivers, then run whatever update service your OS runs.

the bios is native to the motherboard and can be accessed at boot. not all cables from the power supply need to be used, they are just there in case you do. can you post a link to the exact hard drive that you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom