Having to install XP first b4 others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
For some reason unknown to me, I have to install XP before I can install Vista or win7 on my main machine and whether it's 32 or 64 bit I have to start the install of the newer OS's from within XP.

When I try it from the boot prompt it always gives an error when going to detect the HD's.

With Win7 64 here is the only way it will work.

install XP x64 then install Vista 64 then install Win7 64 as upgrade only.

kind of a nightmare lol but on this machine thats how it works. I have no idea why, I have changed every facet of this machine other than the case and ever since I toyed around with LH betas years ago before Vista came out I have had to do it this way ever since.

any ideas?

and I have used many different HD's along the way and always the same.

XP any version installs from the boot with out fail, but Vista any version and now Win 7 it's a circus of OS installs.

Are they SATA drives? Have you tried disabling SATA functionality in the BIOS, and just have them operate as IDE drives?

Now I use Sata drives for my OS but this started back before I owned any Sata drives so it was in both IDE and now in Sata.

When I try it from the boot prompt it always gives an error when going to detect the HD's.

It sounds like you don't have your bios set up to boot from CD/DVD. It's trying to boot to a blank HD, and that's why it's giving you the error.

Set your BIOS settings to boot to CD 1st, and you'll be alright.

But I guess that wouldn't make sense if you can install XP. When you install XP are you booting to the XP installation CD, or are you going about it a different way?

It sounds like you don't have your bios set up to boot from CD/DVD. It's trying to boot to a blank HD, and that's why it's giving you the error.

Set your BIOS settings to boot to CD 1st, and you'll be alright.

But I guess that wouldn't make sense if you can install XP. When you install XP are you booting to the XP installation CD, or are you going about it a different way?

Thanks, but no. I am well versed in boot priority.

Thanks, but no. I am well versed in boot priority.

No offense meant, truly.

You wouldn't believe how many people I've run into with problems like that that just needed to set boot priority. You just never know until you ask.

No problem, sorry if I sound like a sensitive person.. I mean sometimes if I'm watching brave heart I do shed a tear or two, but I have thick skin, but no offense taken.

sometimes the simplest things can evade even the smartest person, not that I am referring to myself because I'm not, I have what would be considered a low education by tech standards, but that doesn't mean I'm not smarter than the average bear. ;)

I would like to be able to solve this issue, though unless someone has had the exact same issue and figured it out, it may be a lost cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom