Will my installation of XP Work?, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kael

Beta member
I just used an OEM install disk from an "old computer" which I no longer possess---it drowned in a flood.---to install Windows XP on a new to me--older computer. It looks like XP is working, but everytime I start up, it prompts me to activate XP, but THEN it tells me that activation has already occured, and gives me no other options. What is happening here, and can I fix it, or will it just go away in 30 days?

I can get into windows and install programs, and the window that comes up when I type the command you listed is the same window that appears after I click on the keys that appear in the lower task bar( the keys appear with a bubble telling me that I have 30 days to activate) (it's that bubble appearing each time I start up that worries me because it thinks it's not registered, and then it tells me that it is after I click on the bubble) I hope this explaination is clear---also, is my copy still legal since I don't have the other pc anymore?---because windows update seems to be hanging up

I think its only legal when its used with the original PC.

try the program I mentioned above...it has a "set registration done button"

as far as I know you will probably not be able to install service packs when using an illegal version, but you should be able to do windows.update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom