Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob4334

Solid State Member
Hi,

I installed some software to burn CDs, it asked me to reboot and I did. After rebooting the computer will not get past the Gateway screen.

I have a Gateway running XP.

I am not sure if it is a HW or SW problem, I have been checking the power supply, that seems to be find and the memory looks to be OK.

I cannot get the machine to go into configuration mode.
Any more suggestions.

I cannot get it to boot from the floppy or CD.

Thank you for any guidelines on what to try.

Jim

I installed RoxioPlayer

I can't get far enough in the boot sequence to get into safemode.

The computer does not give any beeps. I was able to get it to beep if I removed the memory.

By forcing the beeps, I was confirming that the speaker was hooked up and I would hear the beeps and was not missing them. :)

I get to the part of the boot process where the gateway screen comes up. I was able to not show that and show the more typical bootup screen by holding down the esc key during boot, but it was too fast to read what the screen said. It does nothing after the initial boot screen - no beeps either.

I tried getting into the bios but I am not sure I was pressing the right key. A little research indicates that I probably need F1, F2, esc or ctrl-esc.

I will try that tonight.

I determined that you push F1 to cause the computer to go into Setup, it did not work. So it is not getting far enough in the boot process to allow me to get into setup.

I assume that means the bios is messed up?

Jim

open the case and set the jumper for clearing nvram. it'll say either 'clear NVRAM' or 'reset' or 'reset configuration data'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom