Weird Problem with Harddrive(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

† Envy †

Solid State Member
I'm having a weird problem with the harddrives of this computer.

From what I've been able to figure out is:
If I have the SATA harddrive connected the motherboard reads it just fine.
If I have the SATA and IDE harddrive connected the motherboard reads both of them but the Preinstalled Windows XP SP3 on the IDE harddrive will bluescreen, unless I manually load it via "F12 Boot options and manually load it in safe mode"
But heres where the weird part happens, if I run the SATA harddrive with the CD ROM drive(Non sata) the computer reads the CD ROM just fine. If I run it with the IDE Harddrive then it will give me a boot error of "DISK BOOT ERROR PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" so when I insert my Windows XP disk it doesn't get read "I've already tested the disk on 2 other computers and it works fine".

So any help would be much obliged.

System info::

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

So from what i understand is that you are dual booting, did you try disconnect the SATA drive and then boot the CD drive when the IDE HD is connected? They are conflicting with each other, i just had this problem earlier today and i disconnected my SATA to do a CHKDSK for my IDE HD and it fix the NTLDR problem that was occuring. Or is there a O/S installed in the SATA HD?

So from what i understand is that you are dual booting, did you try disconnect the SATA drive and then boot the CD drive when the IDE HD is connected? They are conflicting with each other, i just had this problem earlier today and i disconnected my SATA to do a CHKDSK for my IDE HD and it fix the NTLDR problem that was occuring. Or is there a O/S installed in the SATA HD?

At the moment there is no OS on the SATA HD. But when I have the IDE and CD drive connected it doesn't read either of the drives. That's where I'm mainly getting my problem. When I run 2 IDE channels neither of them run.

What do you see in BIOS when both IDE drives are connected? Double the check the bios to see if the IDE channels are enabled, there could be a rare cause of the IDE cables not working properly.

Okay so now your IDE HD works but no CD drive, does your cd drive open at all? If yes then there's power going in to it but for some reason not detecting in BIOS, try installing another cd drive from your other desktop. If everything is connected correctly there shouldnt be a problem, try switching the cd drive first and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom