windows doesnt detect cd burner!!!!BIOS does detect it!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your device manager under control panel, system, hardware, to see if Windows does detect the drive(s). Your optical drives should be listed there even if you have a driver issue. If they are, right click and delete the entries. Reboot your computer and windows should redetect them and install new drivers. This should work if it is a driver issue.
If you have more than one drive, make sure that the jumpers are set to their proper places (i.e. one should be set to master, the other to slave, if they are on the same IDE chanel).

I have two drives and found out that one was bad by unhooking the IDE cable from it. After doing this I booted the machine and it detected the burner when before it wasn't.

My problem was similar to yours because the BIOS was not detecting the bad drive (DVD/CDrom) but was detecting the burner. Windows was not detecting either one. In the device manager there was no drives appearing at all.

I'd say that since the BIOS is detecting your burner that it is not a physical problem but a software one.

Has it worked before or is this a new build?

1. How old is the drive? Many 1st generation CD-R's have dropped out of the supported bracket.

2. Finding the right drivers is relatively easy. If you don't know the right drivers, there's an easy way to find out. Take the drive out, turn it over, read the model number. Read the manufacturer's name. Go to the manufacturer's website, do a search for the model number, see what you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom