Laptop Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
I've got a pretty basic laptop that I never use, but it still runs well...1.8ghz processor, 40gb hard drive and 512mb of RAM. I'm going abroad for a long time and will have it with me for web surfing, word processing, movies and music, and maybe a little programming.

I decided to upgrade the laptop for fun and out of boredom, so I ordered 2gb of RAM, and a 120gb harddrive to replace the current one.

Questions:

1. Was the RAM upgrade pointless, or will I notice a considerable change in performance?

2. By quadrupling the memory, is it possible that there will be some overheating issues?

3. I've taken laptop hard drives and memory out before, but is there anything I should know before I do this upgrade? Any pointers?

Thanks,

Dylan

1) Not pointless, it should help the overall usability of your laptop, but it might be a little limited by the speed of your processor.
2) Not really.
3) No, just be careful.

1)since you only have 512 it won't be a pointless upgrade. You should notice a considerable increase in speed since you have a 1.8 ghz processor and only 512k ram.
2)None what-so-ever. Especially with RAM in a laptop.
3)Just remember that there will be an adapter that connects the Pins from the new drive to the laptop. I've heard and seen people take laptop drives out and recycle them or give them away, forgetting to take the small adapter off that allows it to connect to the latpop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom