CPU Cooling. What is most advisable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic the Trader

Solid State Member
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with a cheap heatsink and fan. Most temperature monitors monitor it around 95 degress Celcius whenever it's doing anything serious.

Is this too high, even with a cheap heatsink and fan? Should I just buy a new heatsink and fan and use this CPU, or should I send this CPU back because it is defective and then buy a new heatsink and fan?

have you over clocked your cpu??? if yes, than the temps could soar on stock cooling...but if you have not oc'd then there might be something wrong with your chip...

Wohhh that's way to high, that temp may not be accurate becuase I reckon your PC would shut down opening internet explorer. Is this a BIOS temp or a core temp or real temp reading?

It's a Speedfan Temp for the CPU cores. This is only when doing something like playing a game or something else meaningful. Normal temperatures for Core 0 and Core 1 is about 60 C - 80 C, which is still too hot.

Speedfan also gives a Temp 2, usually 60 C - 70 C, and I think it's the motherboard. The Everest temperature for the motherboard matched that Speedfan temperature.

Nah, no overclocking by the way. This is a new computer I built a few days ago. First time building.

That's pretty warm. The stock cooler I had with my E5200 sucked monkey balls. The thing got so hot. I'm not to up to date with after market cpu coolers. I have a zalman, looks the part but it certaintly is't the best cooler.

The stock cooler should do a much better job than that. I would check to see that it's mounted properly (temps indicate that it's not).

Also is the fan spinning on the cpu heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom