ATI or Nvidia??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agex000 is a die-hard ATi fan who won't be persuaded and Nubius is a die hard Nvidia fan.
hahaha basically...but we've come to a mutual agreement and basically never discuss ATI vs Nvidia until a thread like this comes up. But *I* even swallowed my own pride and said that the previous generation of cards built by ATI were better than the nVidia FX series =/

And to Jolancer:
to Agex000- i dont believe that u can see a difference between the image quality of x800 and 6800... would u mind posting screen shots, or linking to screen shots.

I said the same thing :p There is no way in the world you would see any sort of difference in image quality unless you take numerous screenshots and sit there an analyze them...when you're moving around shooting you aren't gonna notice that...but you WILL notice 30FPS not there if you're running an ATI X800....in doom3 however..it was stated that the ATI's image quality was worse than the 6800's PLUS it performed worse...there were more jaggies on the edges of rails and on the lines in floors and such. So yeah basically the next gen of ATI's suck ass and I think they put it out really quick to compete with the 6800 cause they knew the 6800 would be an insane leap in graphics.....this kind of leap hasn't been seen in quite a few years....and yeah any of the 6800's should beat the previous ones, even the 6600GT looks like it'll be a worthy component and would probably easily stand up against the previous generations. This next gen card was made to FAR SURPASS the previous generations..not just make a little step.

Yea, I even hear the 6600GT will have the performance and occationally outperform the X800s...Yes, i said the X800s, not the new X600 cards that are comming out. My blood boils every time I read a thread like this because I wasted so much money on a card thats absolute crap. My GeForce4 MX served me better for longer than my X800 has. The first game I threw at my X800 after I got it in May, which was Far Cry, choked it up. Then I played Painkiller, which ran pretty smoothly except for lag whenever there was an explosion of any kind. Then I play Doom 3, which ran hellishly for a while but now I have the right combination of drivers and tweaks to where I can beat out some 6800 GTs with my D3 performance. Now, the Medal of Honor Pacific Assault demo lags like nothing I've seen before, and in Thief 3, if I turn the graphics up too high, it crashes the game. This isn't just my card, because I read in other forums like this across the net about other people having similar issues. I should have either got a 6800GT or went back a generation to a 9800 Pro (which performs better than my card in games). I guess its time for me to start thinking about an upgrade...

yeah man even my FX5700 256mb card when I only had 256mb of ram would run Painkiller on all high settings flawlessly....that game gets boring REAL quick though...mindless killing of humans is cool (in video games kiddies)....but monsters get boring =/

yea u can see the Nvidia 6 series specs here... http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2195&p=3

and theoretical performance here... http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2195&p=5

----------------------------------------
in that theoretical chart the 6600 is just a step below the standard 6800. if the 6600 is priced right, that may end up the best bang for the buck card.

the X800 series in that chart obviousely doest stack up like that in the real world, but if theres actaully nothing rong with the how the card is built itself. the x800's full potential may be seen in the future if ATI ever fixes there driver compatibility issues. theres a part in that artical that talks about how some card's improve by almost 50% just dew to driver enhancments.

i couldnt see a difference between the ATI 9800Pro and the
Nvidia 5950 Ultra , i own both cards .But anything below the 5950 Ultra in the Nvidia line cant keep up with the 9700 Pro (which i owned)let alone the 9800 Pro. Ive got my hands on the 6800 Ultra and im speechles :) .Im looking for these lesser picture quality issues that people are talking about on the 6800 Ultra and all i see is excellence .Plus phenominal performance.

Since OpenGL 2.0 has been (finally) released, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the vid world.

Well that's a whole lot of answers to my post guys...I've read them all carefully...so I understand that I bought a good card...but then I have a few more questions...1) How long is it going to last? 2) Should I wait for the Nvidia 6600? Is it going to be better than 9800 Pro? And finally, I know Nvidia drivers have that "auto detect overclaoking feature...(or whatever...)", and I was wondering, how much can I overcloak my 9800 Pro, with the stock heatsink and fan, that's actually gonna cause major performence increase, and keep the temperature within good levels...thanks guys.

oh...I forgot one more question...if I do overcloak it, where can I find a progrem that will overcloak like that auto detect overcloaking feature from Nvidia?

lol first off its overclock not cloak but besides grammatical errors....the 6600 should be superior to the 9800.... the reason I say this is..is because of the fact that the 6800 series card is the biggest leap in graphics processing in a very long time...meaning all the other cards were just a little better than its predecessor this one was meant to be a GIANT leap as far as being able to render graphics go. So with that in mind...they are using the fastest available video memory on the 6600 which is DDR3....which isn't even included on the 128mb version of the 6800 and DEFINITELY isn't on any previous generation cards because....obviously this is NEWER FASTER BETTER memory lol. Your 9800 pro should do for a decent amount of time because if they started making games to the point where you HAD to have a 6800...then a lot of people would be SOL and not be able to afford it unless they drastically reduced prices...so they won't be making games that'll completely render the 6800 useless for quite a while...and being that your 9800 pro was top of its class in the previous generations...it should last you atleast a year......might be less if they pump out another card like a 7000 series or something. But with the 6600GT's being at $199....they are looking to be one helluva deal and the most bang for your buck.

AGEX will tell you a good tool for auto overclocking an ATI. I believe it's called ATI Catalyst? I'm not 100% I've never had ATI card :D So I'm sure someone will confirm the name of it after I post. Good luck

EDIT: BTW...personally I'd wait for the 6600 cause it'll be cheaper than the 9800 probably and will outperform it with better architecture and faster memory and more pipelines :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom