Building a computer for HD video editing and BD authoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

warlord2

Beta member
I need to build a computer specifically for video editing and blu-ray burning. I will be using a Canon Vixia HF-100 AVCHD Camcorder for capturing and Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0 for editing. My HP Pavilion a1330n doesn't seem to be powerful enough to even play the clips captured by the camcorder. I put a GeForce 8400 GPU into it along with an additional 1GB of RAM and it helped a little. Upon researching system requirements for BD-R drives, I have learned nothing as to what exactly I will need. I want to spend less than $1000 and components that I already have include:
Case
Software (including OS)
Monitor
Hard Drive

If any can help I would be much abliged

I'm no video editing expert but do you know if that program take advantage of quad cores? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need a great graphics card for video editing so if your not gaming you can maybe get a core i7 which is great at video editing. Would be stretching it since a blue ray burner is about $230 but you could maybe do it. But if you can't use all 4 cores the cost wouldn't be worth it.

Newegg just went down for me but

something around
Blue ray burner - $230
i7 920 - $290
gigabye x58 - $200
g.skil 6gb ddr3 - $150
lower end nvidia 9 series or ati 4 series graphics card ~$50
good psu, I'll say OCZ 600w $80
your case and hdd

Thats around $1000 and you would get like $45 in rebates.

Thank you for the advice dario, i'm not sure about how the software utilizes the cores and I could probably get by just fine with a lower end graphics card. The only thing I need the graphics card for is to preview the movies during the editing process, the program limits the amount of ram is used by the player to keep essential ram available for more important functions, and it's all customizeable in the preferences. I just need to keep in mind that when playback skips during preview it won't after producing and burning to disc. The budget I mentioned is definitely subject to change because I want to leave room to upgrade as technology advances every ten minutes.

after reading forums at avsforum.com i have learned that sony vegas 9 does utilize cores of one's processor, thanks for the tip on that dario.

Definitely get an i7 system if you can afford it. They rock at video editing. I'll put something together for you in a sec

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! - $474 - $15 MIR = $459

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory - $145

Newegg.com - SPARKLE SFPX95GT1024U2H GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards - $60

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies - $70 - $20 MIR = $50

Newegg.com - LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner 6X Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20LK - Blu-Ray Burners - $200 (you can change this to what you want because I don't know much about these)

Total - $914 w/ MIRs or $949 without MIR

This will do exactly what you want and will last you for a long while. The only thing it won't do is game very well, but if you wanted to play a game now and then, you will be able to on medium settings maybe.

you're the man pinscher! thanks for the reply. I didn't know much about the new i7's but it sounds like good stuff.

The i7 is intels newest cpu. Its a quad core with hyperthreading so it actually is seen by the os as an 8 core chip. I loves mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom