Major Problem with E8500 at stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viscin

Baseband Member
This is stock settings, and im using AS5 and Arctic cooler freezer 7 and look at my idle temps! http://i41.tinypic.com/xd8pk5.jpg

Specs: E8500 Stock
4 GB G.SKill PI Black
evga 260 gtx 216 sp
evga 750i
ocz gamexstream 700w
antec 1200 case

Any ideas how to fix this!

lets start by asking...

how much thermal paste was used when installing the cooler.

Hello,

Looking at the information provided by the screenshots of Core Temp and CPU-Z, it's evident that you've got Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology disabled (that is, throttling disabled), which is likely the reason for your high idle state temperatures.

Both Core Temp and CPU-Z are showing a current clock of 3166.7MHz (the stock speeds of the Intel Core 2 Duo E5400 processor) on idle load.

To enable Enahanced Intel Speedstep Technology, first it must be enabled in the BIOS (if it is disabled by an available EIST setting), and secondly, you need to make sure that your Power Scheme (Windows XP) or Power Plan (Windows Vista) is set properly. In Windows XP, choosing the default Power Profile named 'Minimal Power Management' will enable EIST. In Windows Vista, you need to change the advanced power settings of the active power plan so that the 'minimum processor state' under 'processor power management' is 5% or lower.

If in Windows XP, the default power scheme 'Minimal Power Management' has been erased, it will need to be created in command prompt using 'powercfg'. Entering the following (all one line) into command prompt will create a power scheme named 'Minimal Power Management' with the correct advanced power options to enable EIST in Windows XP:

powercfg /create "Minimal Power Management" /processor-throttle-ac "Adaptive" /processor-throttle-dc "Adaptive" /processor-throttle-ac "Adaptive"

You could actually name the power plan anything you like, such as 'Throttled' or 'EIST Enabled'. There are other parameters you can set which aren't available in Window XP's Power Manager. If you want more information about how to use powercfg, see the following article: How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003

See the following article for a illustrated guide to enabling EIST in Windows XP and Windows Vista: Tech ARP - Reducing The Power Consumption Of Overclocked PCs Rev. 2.0

speedstep doesn't drop temps much...seriously on my I7 it might stay 2ish C lower but it's always jumping from throttled-not throttled so i really don't see how it helps.

Anyway: you either applied to much thermal paste, faulty sensors (i doubt since both programs are reading as the same thing), or you installed your heatsink wrong

speedstep doesn't drop temps much...seriously on my I7 it might stay 2ish C lower but it's always jumping from throttled-not throttled so i really don't see how it helps.

Anyway: you either applied to much thermal paste, faulty sensors (i doubt since both programs are reading as the same thing), or you installed your heatsink wrong

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology can dramatically decrease the system temperature when idle (not to mention reducing power consumption and increasing battery runtime on notebooks).

For example, in one case study, an Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 with EIST disabled running at a stock speed of 2.9GHz, idles at 45°C. However, when EIST is enabled, the processor idles at about 25°C - a decrease of 25°C thanks to EIST.

The degree of the benefits gained from EIST will obviously depend on the personal usage of your computer. If your computer has many processes running, with some of them frequently placing considerable demand on the CPU, of course your throttled clock speed is going to fluctuate frequently.

Though, I'm not negating that an improperly installed heatsink or thermal interface material is the cause.

Hello,

Looking at the information provided by the screenshots of Core Temp and CPU-Z, it's evident that you've got Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology disabled (that is, throttling disabled), which is likely the reason for your high idle state temperatures.

I don't think just having speeedstep disabled would cause that high of temps. I have speedstep disabled and am running overclocked at 2.8ghz and my E2180 still idles at 24c.

I would guess it's either to much thermal paste or the cooler isn't seated properly.

Its any of these:

-Too much/little Thermal Paste
-Badly mounted cooler
-Possible bad sensor?
-Terrible Wire Management/ bad airflow
-Not updated BIOS causing bad readings from the sensor

to the original poster:

be sure the amount of thermal paste you used is this below:

the size of a grain of rice on the center of the cpu

if you used more than this, this could be the problem,

but like 2 of the above posters(minus the speedstep guy) be sure your heatsink is properly installed.

Speedstep is possibility guys....

Think about it, if there's too much thermal paste, its going to go up a lot on Idle, and with it off.. you never know if it stays the same temps

thanks for the replies i seemed to put to little paste.. i added some more and now idles 38 C although i think its stuck at that and never goes lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom