New computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPhone

Baseband Member
Hello everyone just joined up today. A friend from another site recommended me here :D. A little about me, i am 20, live in alaska, and like long walks on the beach. I used to be heavy into photoshop/3D studio max. I know alittle programming and html. lol I know fairly enough about computers/builds to get me by, but deffinately dont know nearly enough. This will be my first build hopefully and i have experience with adding and removing computer parts. I am pretty excited to start buying the computer parts and everything, but i am not in a hurry, currently in turkey right now for some business ill be here for about 3 more weeks.

This topic is going to be a kind of progression/Q&A topic, with me doing the question hopefully and you all helping me out with answers. Alright down to the nitty gritty.

As of right now i havent picked out any parts, partly because i dont plan on buying everything or building it for the next couple months.

The build im going for right now is probably an i7 rig, not really sure what MOBO's go with the i7 havent done my homework. Looking for either 1 or 2 monitors doesnt matter that much to me, size around 22-24 inches. Not really a preference on the GPU something awesome would be great. Ill probably do 3 sticks of ram, and for sound something average would suffice not looking for the best sound system on the rig. Drives probably 2 DVD drives not really into the BluRay or any of that seeing how i got my ps3 for that. As far as overclocking and all that i have not done any of that before and im not familiar in the least bit with how to set up cooling or any of that.

So any input or ideas you can provide would be appreciated. Im pretty sure ill buy the parts from new egg. Ill come back and update as i pick out parts and as the build starts ill deffinately be taking some pictures. Thanks ahead of time to those that help!!

Price range: 1500-2500 I know its a big range in price there, but i just havent decided how much i want to spend. Im pretty sure i dont want to go past 2500 though.

Parts:

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops :295.00
MOBO: Newegg.com - EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards :300.00
RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory :181.00
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives :80.00
Monitor: Newegg.com - Acer X243Wbd Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 3000:1 ACM with HDCP support - LCD Monitors :270.00
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
:260.00
DVD: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners :25.00
Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases :150.00
Sound Card:
Speakers:
Mouse/Keyboard: Inferno Deals- HOT Deals... COOL Stuff. :124.99
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies :120.00

Pics:

Do you do any gaming? Because while you may want an awesome card, there's no sense in throwing away 500 bucks if you aren't going to game. :p

Well i do some gaming like Left 4 dead, half life 2 and some RTS games. I dont need the top of the line GPU tho, i do plan to do alot of online gaming.

Alright, here's some more parts. First, I recommend one of these two cases, though it's really a matter of personal preference. You may want to go through the cases on the site to see what suits your fancy. Go ahead and post them here, I'll give you my opinion on them.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Now for a video card, this one is a decent beast for the low cost, and it's even cheaper this weekend:

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Grab a couple of these DVD-R drives:

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Now, I have some ideas for keyboard/mouse/speakers. Anything in particular you like? And what sort of speaker setup would you prefer?

Nice again m8 i appreciate all the help. What power supply would you reccomend for a rig like this? Im looking at the antec power supplies, just not sure what wattage i should get. Well im not too into the sound system just a decent sounding system. As for keyboard and mouse just something responsive for the mouse. and keyboard anything really :D It has been a while since i have used anything since my laptop and my keys on the keyboard are jacked so anything would prolly be better then my laptop keyboard ^_^ appreciate this m8. Ill look into the cases btw im gonna take a couple days and check em out.

For a PSU, there's a relaly good deal on this one right now:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

This is personally my favorite mouse/keyboard combo:

Inferno Deals- HOT Deals... COOL Stuff.

The keyboard is VERY comfortable to type on, and has a good bit of features. That's a MX1100 mouse, an upgrade from the old great MX1000, and it rocks. Looks a lot better than that Revolution thing, and it's laser instead of optical, so very sensitive. Rechargeable batteries are a plus. ;)

I'm looking at some speaker sets.

EDIT: Would you rather have a 2 speaker + a subwoofer set? Or would you want a 5 speaker + 1 sub set?

The HAF is a great case, nice pick.

One of these speaker sets would be good, and not too expensive. I personally like the 68w set, but I got the cheaper set for my mom, and it works fine too. Up to you on that part.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

And actually, grab this PSU instead of the other one.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

It's still a good deal, and it's a little better. I didn't see the "SLI dual 8800GTX and below" in the title of the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom