Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - (school) computer not booting up?

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
killians45
Wizard Techie

have you tried just unplugging it and plugging back in? also, even though it doesn't type, does the numlock come on? and can you turn it on and off. as far as the Dos screen, is it just a blinking cursor in the upper right, or are you getting the ACTUAL Dos prompt as in C:\>... it really doesn't sound like a keyboard problem, but more configuration. Try to see if you can access the bios, and if the keyboard works there then go ahead and clear NVRAM (hopefully this can be done in the bios). If there is no option for that in the bios, you'll have to find the jumper on the MBD. It should say something to the effect of either "Clear NVRAM" OR it will say "Reset configuration data". Set the jumper to that (make note where you removed it, though) pin set. Reboot the system. It should say something like Configuration data reset by jumper. At that point, power the system down, and then set the jumper back to the original pins which should be the pin jumpers for "Normal".

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.