Ok guys, I'm stumped. Please take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxmastawes

Beta member
First off hello everyone, this is my 1st post! Hopefully one of my last, on this thread at least!

Alright.

I have an old ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128mb DDR video card (AGP).
I am trying to install it in my recently purchased, 180$, older Intel Thinkcenter P4 3.0ghz 1gb RAM system. Its running on an Intel REV 2.5Motherboard
The P4 system has an onboard graphics chip (96mb).

The problem I am having is AFTER I get the 128MB "new" card to work..
It doesn't work for long.
I can shut down/restart a few times fine, but when I wake up the next morning...
All of a sudden I get No Image Whatsoever at startup.. The monitor doesn't even detect any pre-windows signal. Nothing.

Here's the steps I took to installing my "new" card..
1. Start > Ctrl Panel > System > Device Manager > Disabled Onboard graphics card
2. Download ATI Catalyst (Driver for 'new' card)
3. Boot up to BIOS and change the Primary video to AGP instead of Integrated video, and memory size to 128 instead of 96.
4. Save & Exit; Plug monitor into 'new' card

That usualy works. I can get to windows and install the ATI Drivers.
But then, my problem----> It doesn't last.

I dont understand why this is? Is there some sort of time-out thing going on that switches back to my onboard video? Cause in BIOS the settings i changed to match my 'new' card, remain the same...(128 memory and AGP as the primary) I couldn't find any apparent physical Jumper switch to disable the onboard graphics either.

Does it go back to the Integrated video in the bios? If yes, Then I think the problem is that bios is saved in the cmos setup and the way bios saves it settings to cmos is by a quarter size battery on the motherboard. If the battery is dead then cmos/bios wont keep it changes.

First off hello everyone, this is my 1st post! Hopefully one of my last, on this thread at least!

Alright.

I have an old ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128mb DDR video card (AGP).
I am trying to install it in my recently purchased, 180$, older Intel Thinkcenter P4 3.0ghz 1gb RAM system. Its running on an Intel REV 2.5Motherboard
The P4 system has an onboard graphics chip (96mb).

The problem I am having is AFTER I get the 128MB "new" card to work..
It doesn't work for long.
I can shut down/restart a few times fine, but when I wake up the next morning...
All of a sudden I get No Image Whatsoever at startup.. The monitor doesn't even detect any pre-windows signal. Nothing.

Here's the steps I took to installing my "new" card..
1. Start > Ctrl Panel > System > Device Manager > Disabled Onboard graphics card
2. Download ATI Catalyst (Driver for 'new' card)
3. Boot up to BIOS and change the Primary video to AGP instead of Integrated video, and memory size to 128 instead of 96.
4. Save & Exit; Plug monitor into 'new' card

That usualy works. I can get to windows and install the ATI Drivers.
But then, my problem----> It doesn't last.

I dont understand why this is? Is there some sort of time-out thing going on that switches back to my onboard video? Cause in BIOS the settings i changed to match my 'new' card, remain the same...(128 memory and AGP as the primary) I couldn't find any apparent physical Jumper switch to disable the onboard graphics either.

I dont expect anyone to know wtf is going on here but I've done plenty of research and can't figure this out. And I HATE bringing my computers to the google-educated PC stores we have around here.

thanks for the replys,

YES, the BIOS settings stay set to 128/agp...
but it says "Active Video: Integrated blahblah"
(Because I have to switch the monitor cable back to the onboard chip anyways otherwise I get no video at all)

I guess I could always try replacing the battery

You need to disable the integrated graphics and enable the agp graphics. If in a couple of days you go back to the bios and the settings haven't stuck you need to change the battery.

You need to disable the integrated graphics and enable the agp graphics. If in a couple of days you go back to the bios and the settings haven't stuck you need to change the battery.

Thats the thing, the settings DO Stay set to AGP 128. but I get no video on my monitor or detection.... So I have to switch cable back to onboard video input, AND remove the AGP card because when it's in and im plugged into onboard chip, theres no video either.

Thats the thing, the settings DO Stay set to AGP 128. but I get no video on my monitor or detection.... So I have to switch cable back to onboard video input, AND remove the AGP card because when it's in and im plugged into onboard chip, theres no video either.

Are you adding the 128Mb to the gig or just putting 128 in a 1gig system? Could you be below the minimum memory requirements? If you are running Windows XP, Microsoft recommends 128MB as the minimum RAM requirement. At 64MB, you may experience frequent application problems. If your adding the 128 to the existing gig, you may have too much RAM, although I've never heard of a computer with too much RAM working at all let alone temporarily.

Are you adding the 128Mb to the gig or just putting 128 in a 1gig system? Could you be below the minimum memory requirements? If you are running Windows XP, Microsoft recommends 128MB as the minimum RAM requirement. At 64MB, you may experience frequent application problems. If your adding the 128 to the existing gig, you may have too much RAM, although I've never heard of a computer with too much RAM working at all let alone temporarily.

we're talking about Video memory.

My system has 1gig RAM
and i am trying to add a 128mb ddr VIDEO card to the AGP slot.
It currently works on it's onboard integrated 96mb video chip.
the problem is that once the 128mb card is installed and working, it doesn't last. I wake up the next morning and turn on my computer but get no video whatsoever. The video does not last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom