Another Case Mod!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, didn't you dad ever tell you? Measure twice cut once! Those corners are botched. Seems you did this very rushed. Wood working is not hard, the biggest thing it takes is patience. Good thing you use cheap ply wood, not much of a loss. Wood cases need to been clean and minimalist. like a Lian Lee case, unless that is you care going for steam punk. Then you want to do this:

:: www.Mod-Planet.com :: FORUM :: :: Zobacz temat - Steampunk ftw !

the only thing that needs to be done is to go back, take all the screws out, re-stain it and fill in the gaps around the optical drive. that and figure out what I want to do with the screw heads. In my opinion at least.. I'm not gonna flip out about the fact that the seams aren't flushed, it's built on the frame of the old case so it's hard to do measurements as there are subtle changes in the width and such.

Did you remove all plastic molding from the case before you started? If you are going to do that then you need to work with the bare frame. Also those measurements and cuts are pretty bad. I don't think any amount of stain will make the bad corners go away. Like I said good think you use plywood.

the corner's aren't bad... I dunno where you got that from.. and of course I took the plastic off.. the metal itself isn't flat on all the sides..

No offense man but I don't think you will be able to get the results you are looking for using that wood. I would go out to the local lumber yard an get some oak, maple or cherry in 3/4 inch boards or so. You would also need a biscuit joiner to fit the individual pieces making op the larger surfaces of the case together. I would also countersink the screws and then fill above the heads with dowels or wood filler for a cleaner look.

I really like the idea of a wood htpc case though.

Yeah, the wood is a little odd...it kinda reminds me of that 80's chipboard furniture stuff. But to each their own. :p

the idea behind it is that it's supposed to fit into the cabinetry that I have and not look like a computer. And if nothing else it just looks interesting. haha.

the idea behind it is that it's supposed to fit into the cabinetry that I have and not look like a computer. And if nothing else it just looks interesting. haha.

You know, I saw a mod a long time ago for an HTPC, it was a treasure chest on a shelf. That was pretty friggin' cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom