i7 920 & G. Skill 1600 running way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikepsyche

In Runtime
For some reason, speeds of my processor and RAM are way low according to CPU-Z. I think someone had this problem before, not sure whether or not it was just CPU-Z misreading the speeds or what...

CPU-Z 1.jpg CPU-Z 2.jpg

I looked in my BIOS, and it says the i7 920 is running at the rated speeds, 2.67 GHZ (20 x 133), and the RAM is running at 1066mhz and 8-8-8-20 (I figured it wouldn't run at 1600 right off the bat, would have fixed that later). But, CPU-Z shows the processor to be running at 1.620 GHZ and the RAM at a staggering 540 mhz. Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Yeah, speedstep was enabled in the BIOS I think. But, why wouldn't it do that for everybody? And why would they do that in the first place.

I don't understand how CPU-Z would be more accurate than the BIOS though.

Well, I'm no expert on speedstep, but from what I can tell, it throttles down your speeds when you aren't doing much/when you don't need it. I would assume it only works when you are booted into an OS. Turn it off first, then see what CPU-Z says.

It's annoying as ****, because on my laptop (where I can't turn it off) it likes to take affect when I'm trying to do things. And forget SuperPI, I don't know how I did it that one time.

Speedstep is lowering your multi to 12x, which is the lowest it will go to save power. If you boot up a game or cpu intensive game it will bump back up to 20.

Also, your ram is exactly where its supposed to be. Its running at 8x the bclk which is to say 1066. You have to double the frequency due to it being Double data rate.

Do what? disable speed step?

speed step puts your CPU in halted state when you aren't using any CPU intensive programs, it clocks DOWN your CPU so it uses less electricity. saving energy

when you do use anything CPU intensive it will auto clock it back up to full speed

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/c...dstep-cool-quiet-technology-explained-165312/

Oops. Ok, I'll be sure to check the stickies from now on.

So, do you guys recommend turning off speedstep? I mean, on the off-chance that it won't always clock right back up as soon as I do something?

And, I plan to overclock soon, to 3.5ghz. Do you always disable speedstep before overclocking your CPU?

Most people do, it's really annoying. I don't see a point to leaving it on if you are going to overclock.

I only turn it off when i'm looking for my max overclock, once i find that i turn it back on. No real reason to leave it off as it saves power when you arent using cpu intensive programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom