Reformat - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanbabrif

Baseband Member
Sorry, not sure if in correct forum. I have a PC and the motherboard says Asus - P5GC-MX(if necessary) It originally came if XP but I have Vista Ultimate. I was wondering if there is a way to restore back to factory settings or at least clean my HD of everything except for Windows and drivers. When I installed Vista, it said everything will be erased but my HD spaced was still 90% used up.(I have 120 GB HD). Please help.

Hello,

So your computer originally had Windows XP installed, then you subsequently installed Windows Vista and now you want to go back to Windows XP?

I think he wants to fix up his xp, but vista won't do it... as its vista.

Do you have you xp key still? If you do just get a copy of xp, around the age of yours, and use your key to fix it up.

I don't necessarily want to go back to XP. I basically want to wipe my HD clean of everything except for Windows files and drivers.

Hello,

Alright, after re-re-re-re-reading the OP I think I get the issue now, lol.

You had Windows XP installed, but then you installed Windows Vista. However, after installing Windows Vista, you realised that data from your old OS installation (that is, Windows XP) is still on the hard drive, as it wasn't erased during the installation of Windows Vista.

Okay. Well the likely reason why this has occurred is because the entire hard drive wasn't formatted prior to the installation of Windows Vista.

If there are a lot of old files on the hard drive left from your old OS installation, and you don't know what or where the data is, you could re-install Windows Vista, ensuring that this time you format the entire drive (and all it's partitions that are no longer required). Alternatively, and perhaps the most convenient solution (if there aren't many old files and you know the whereabouts), is just to erase these files yourself. Getting rid of these files will require some investigation first:

1. Do you know where this 'old' data is on the hard drive? For example, is it on the partition where Windows Vista is installed, or is it on a different partition on the hard drive?
  2. Do you know what this old' data is? For example, is it just system files left from your old Windows XP installation such as 'Documents and Settings' and a 'Windows' folder, or is it System Recovery data for the original Windows XP installation put on the hard drive by the manufacturer?
If it's old system files (e.g. 'Documents and Settings') left over from your old Windows XP installation, you can just delete them. If it's system recovery data (to restore your computer to it's factory state), either on the same or different partition from where Windows Vista is installed, then note that erasing this system recovery data without first having created a set of recovery discs from the data means that you won't be able to restore your computer to it's factory state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom