Hello! Need Help Upgrading Mobo and Processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock-Lee

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my computer a Gateway Official Site: Shop - Desktops – LX6200-01 Product Details - LX 6200 01 Product Details processor to a Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops and it has a combo so might as well get a new mobo. To this Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! . But if I upgrade my mobo and processor do I have to reinstall my Windows Vista 64 bit? Because it didn't come with a backup disc. How can I backup my OS? Do I have to buy a new vista?

no you shouldn't have to reinstall vista because it's on the hard drive already

That's incorrect. Upon changing the motherboard, it's most likely you'll need to reinstall Vista, because the bios settings will be different, as well as drivers and things. A repair install might work, but highly unlikely. Good choice of parts though.

You don't have to buy a new Vista, you can just maybe borrow a disc from someone and reuse your serial key, or torrent a legal, uncracked version.

That's incorrect. Upon changing the motherboard, it's most likely you'll need to reinstall Vista, because the bios settings will be different, as well as drivers and things. A repair install might work, but highly unlikely. Good choice of parts though.

You don't have to buy a new Vista, you can just maybe borrow a disc from someone and reuse your serial key, or torrent a legal, uncracked version.

aww that sucks for me because im getting a new mobo and cpu within a week and I thought the hdd would just work right away with the mobo.....what makes it even worst is that I dont have a repair cd :(

Serial Key? What do you mean? Mine didn't come with a vista cd. It had vista preinstalled. So I guess I have to buy a new Vista too? :( Oh, well thanks anyway.

Your computer has a sticker that will say Genuine Windows Vista 64-bit and have a serial key on that sticker. It will be on the tower somewhere. That is the key he is referring to. You should be able to borrow an OEM disc and re-use your serial key from that sticker rather than need to buy a new one.

That's incorrect. Upon changing the motherboard, it's most likely you'll need to reinstall Vista, because the bios settings will be different, as well as drivers and things.
Are you sure about this? I mean sure he will have to reinstall mobo drivers and what not but I just changed my mobo with XP and did not have to reinstall my OS at all. I guess it is a different story with Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom