Netbook or Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna buy a very inexpensive laptop for class too :]

Can you feel a big sense of lack of power with these netbooks or low end laptops?
Just asking because my mom has a powerbook G4 and it feels fine most of the time

The performance isn't as bad as you would think. You obviously won't be maxing out Crysis but a 1.6ghz Atom is more than fast enough for internet browsing and running MS Office.

I understand but could it be using the internet, run office, have some music open or youtube?

Normal computing at home n stuff

I have an MSI wind (10 inch) and I don't do a lot of heavy computing or coding or any really intensive gaming. But for internet, and openoffice and music and/or youtube videos and instant message and blog all being open and running at the same time I haven't noticed any speed problems, and I haven't even upgraded the ram yet.

I'm impressed with it. Obviously I don't do the really techy stuff so I don't know whether its capable of much more, but I'm getting ready to replace my main computer with this. Plus I get a good 4-5 hours battery on it, which could probably be better but its fine for me. Once I get a bigger external monitor and keyboard to hook it up to at home I'll likely sell my other computer.

I wanna buy a very inexpensive laptop for class too :]

Can you feel a big sense of lack of power with these netbooks or low end laptops?
Just asking because my mom has a powerbook G4 and it feels fine most of the time

I used to have an Asus Eee PC 1000H. I purchased it because I was looking for something portable with good battery life to use at University for my studies.

However, after a few months of use, I decided to sell it and get a different notebook with a larger screen. The reason? Although the near full sized keyboard was easy to adjust to, personally, I couldn't adjust to using a small screen for extended periods; It was frustrating writing lab reports, essays, viewing powerpoints, doing research, Javascript & PHP programming etc. as it was difficult to read documents large amounts of text, and tedious when referencing text from other documents/windows.

I purchased an HP 2510p 12.1" ultraportable instead which also has a higher resolution (luckily, for a super bargain on eBay otherwise I wouldn't have bought it) giving me more real estate, while still providing good battery life and portability.

My advice? Go to a store where you can demo a netbook in person, and perform some scholarly tasks. If you think you'll be able to use a computer of such a size, and that it will satisfy your needs, then go for it. However, if you think the screen size bothers you even a little bit, then I suggest getting a notebook with a larger screen.

Having said all that, you could get a 12" Dell Inspiron Mini netbook (though relatively expensive compared to smaller netbooks, and even budget notebooks for that matter). Personally, I'd be satisfied using a laptop with a screen size between 12" and 14.1" (not too small or too large). It's really down to your own requirements and preference.

If you want a small notebook I reccomend the Dell xps M1330
If you want a small tablet pc then the HP Tx1000 or its newest variant
If you want a netbook which has long battery life and will be fine if you use it as it is designed to be used then the MSI wind

The Latitude D600 has a terrible battery quality so get something with WV. :) I know some good ones that could be around 400$ at Best Buy

If you want a netbook, I suggest :

Newegg.com - MSI Wind U100-432US Black Intel Atom N270(1.60GHz) 10.0" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

+

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

You can then overclock the CPU to 1.9 GHz, which gives it a really nice performance increase.

I also hear the 10 inch screen is excellent quality, and the 6 cell battery gives decent time.

Doesn't upgrading memory on the Wind void your warrenty? Or did MSI get rid of that policy?

Doesn't upgrading memory on the Wind void your warrenty? Or did MSI get rid of that policy?

That would be such a terrible policy.

"Oh yeah, you guys are retarded, so replacing RAM is way beyond you and you'll color in a picture of 2x 2gb sticks instead of actually buying them so BLAM NO WARRANTY *******S!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom