Laptop cooling fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilshortwun

Beta member
Hi, I want to use laptop cooling fans for my cable box. It freezes a lot and gets very hot after a few hours. I called the tech already and they would not replace it until it breaks. Well I decided not to wait for until it breaks and just buy myself the laptop cooling fans. How would I power these if they need a USB port? My cable box does not have a USB port. So it is possible to buy those USB chargers for mp3 players to power it? Thanks.

If you feel comfortable cuting and soldering wires then you can get a 5v ac-dc adapter, and wire it into the power leads on the fans, just have to find the pos and neg wires and such.

Check if there is a lot of dust in your box. I had to blow mine out with compressed air one time and it helped with overheating. Make sure it is in a well ventilated area. You could but a small cheap fan the plugs into a wall socket and use that to increase air flow around it.

Well if you REALLY want to, try to find something that can let you plug up a USB connection to the wall outlett, I have seen a FEW AC-DC adapters by a company called PowerLine that includes a USB connection, just set the switch to USB and plug in the device to the ac-dc convertor, that way you don't have to worry about the splicing and such.

The first thing to do is to remove your battery. Heat can damage them, causing them to hold less charge.

Then put the back of your laptop on an elevated surface. (those manuals that came with it finally have a use). You're finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom