Computer Monitor Pixels Messed Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
Today I received my new 22" widescreen monitor. The exact monitor is this one:

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

The monitor is connected via a DVI cable and worked great for around two hours. I then turned my computer off. After turning it back on, my desktop appeared fine for about 2 seconds and then blacked out/flickered and now displays what is attached. I tried to create a custom resolution but failed. It should boot up to its native resolution 1680 X 1050 and looks like it does. Any help is appreciated. I have an 8800GTS 512 MB video card, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I decided to try a VGA cable. My video card only has DVI inputs, but I have an adapter. The monitor appears to work when I hook up a VGA cable. While I can just be fine with that and use a VGA cable, I want to use a DVI cable. Could the cable be faulty?

Attachments

• Monitor2.JPG
    Monitor2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,957
recheck the DVI cable, make sure the cable isint bad and look at the dvi connector on the monitor make sure it's not damaged. try a differnet cable if possible.

I will have to go buy a cable to test it. It can't be the DVI connector on the video card, my VGA cable is using that now. In addition, the DVI connector on the monitor does not look damaged either. Nor does the actual DVI cable itself...weird how it was working fine for two hours and then after turning off my computer it doesn't work.

Is it possible I messed with some settings in such a way to cause the screen to look like that? I am using the DVI cable on another computer and it seems to be fine.

Could be that the connection on the monitors board is damaged, that or there is a small tear in one of the wires that sometimes connects and sometimes doesnt... And I don't think there is a way to do that in the video card settings...

Alright, well I decided to do some testing. I hooked up another computer monitor to a completely different computer via the DVI cable, everything worked. I then hooked up my monitor to that other computer via the DVI cable. Again, it worked. I then hooked up that other computer's monitor to my computer via the DVI cable, and after about 5 seconds the same problem occurred. So, this means either my video card is crapping out (though I doubt it). The DVI input on my video card is crapping out, again, I doubt that. My video card only has DVI connectors on it. So my VGA cable is hooked up to an adapter which then hooks into the DVI connector on the video card. The last thing, and probably most likely thing, is that I changed some of the settings in the Nvidia control panel in such a way to cause this.

Remember that DVI has far more connections than VGA, it is still possible and most likely that there is one of the connetions with in the DVI port on the video card that is messed up, most likely one of the connections that the VGA adapter doesn't use but that the DVI cable does use to transfer the signal, have you got a way of trying a totaly different video card in that system?

Ok. I tried using the other DVI connector on the video card, same results. I still don't think it's a problem with my video card. The connector looks fine and it isn't that old of a card. The other computer I tested my monitor on has a video card that's about 2 years older.

So you tested that monitor that acts strange with your DVI cable on another system and it doesn't act wierd? I don't think it will help, but try uninstalling your GPU then reseat it, and reinstall the drivers.

Ok. Monitor A with a DVI cable shows the strange picture with Computer A. When I tested Monitor A with the DVI cable with Computer B, it displayed a normal picture. Also, Monitor B with the DVI cable with Computer B displayed a normal picture. Both Monitors A and B, however, when connected to Computer A with the DVI cable displayed the weird image I have in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom