First build, not booting up...think it's PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kershner

Baseband Member
Ok, so I started building my first computer tonight. The whole experience has been terrible, **** just hasn't been going right. Anyway, I think I've finally got everything hooked up correctly, plug computer into the wall, flip on the PSU...nothing. No fans, nothing.

The outlet and AC cord are both fine, tested them ok. So I'm thinking it's either wrong connections or bad PSU.

I'm fairly certain everything is hooked up correctly (if I have both ATX connectors and the fans hooked up to the PSU, shouldn't I get SOMEthing when I turn on the PSU?). Anyway, is there a way to test if the PSU is bad?

Just so you know, these are my specs:
Gigabyte UD3R p45
A Saphire 4830
2x2gb Corsair Ram
E5200 with a Sunbeam Core Contact installed on it (how big of a ***** was that?!)
And my PSU is a Corsair 400w...now everyone here ASSURED me that 400w was more than enough to power everything I've got...that's not the problem, is it? Any help is really appreciated guys.

*EDIT* Another question I just thought of - what is the minimum amount of stuff that needs to be connected to get a response?

You will need to switch the computer on to get anything going. Just flicking on the PSU will not do anything other than maybe a LED on the motherboard. 400W is enough, I have 425W in my PC and I have used that exact PSU in a different build before.

Well I've definitely switched the computer on as well...how do I test the PSU to see if it's bad?

Well I tested the PSU using the paper clip method - it works. Now I need to know what to do next...the video said that he was going to cover it in his next tutorial...but it's nowhere to be found...anyone have any ideas as to what I should do now?

To recap - my PSU works fine, but when connected to the mobo and everything, nothing powers on.

Also...I have a nagging feeling that this whole thing might be the front-panel connectors...is that a legitimate concern?

I have a Cooler-Master Centurion 5 Case...is anyone familiar with this case and my Gigabyte UD3R mobo?

Just as an aside, I have these two 1-pin front connectors that have a + and a - on them, and I have no clue where they go...nothing in the manual about them...pleeeeease help, anyone!

Is there anyone familiar with this mobo/case combo? Or does anyone know of an online guide that could help me? I'm about to throw god knows how much money away by taking it to a computer repair shop.

Just use your motherboard manual. It will show you where to connect the PWR SW, RS SW, HDD LED, etc. pins from the front panel. I am guessing this is likely your issue if nothing at all is happening.

Check your manual for the section on F_Panel Header and make sure you connected those correctly. On the online manual I just downloaded it is on page 27.

If the online manual is the same as the manual that came with my mobo, then it is most likely of no use to me. I have connected everything the best I can, but I still have my doubts as to whether or not they are connected correctly.

First of all, the manual mentions that I need to be careful of the positive and negative aspects on the mobo pins...however, no such + or - designations exist on my Centurion 5 Case connectors.

Also, there is a pin connector below the F_Panel group of connectors that says PWR_LED...but I have no PWR_LED corresponding cable from my Centurion 5 case.

Furthermore, there is a spot on the bottom right corner of the F_Panel group of pin connectors for MSG, once again, no corresponding cable from the case.

Lastly, I have two separate one-pin cables from the case that both read + and -, respectively. The mobo manual makes absolutely no mention of where to place these.

These two separate one-pin cables are not labeled in any way other than +/-?

Could you perhaps get us a picture of the cables and how they have been connected to the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom