4870 X2 not out performing 4870 1GB!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Ok I have the 4870 1GB card and a friend of mine who has the 4870 X2 came over tonight so we can try it out on my machine. He is fed up with the card and was having many issues with it. He wanted to try it out on my machine just to see if maybe it wasn't so much the card, maybe something else.

Well first thing I did was try out Crysis WH. I went in and was excited about seeing this card in action. So I went in and maxed out everything. Well the game ran horrible. So I adjust the setting to what I play on, 1920 x 1200, 2x AA on enthusiast settings. I typically get around 18-25 fps on these settings. Well I couldn't believe it but I was only getting like 15-18 fps with his X2!!! What is up with that?

I did put in GTA4 to try it out and I saw a big difference in fps there. My 4870 will get between 20-30 fps and his was 40-50 fps.

Why would his card show lower fps then mine (in Crysis), which is half of his card?

In close, this card was HOT! Idle was 80c!!!! Insane, and manufacturer says this is ok??? When I took his card out I had to put it down ASAP because it burned the heck out of my hand. No joke it was that hot.

I would not recommend this card to any one. For the price this thing should have zero issues and perform much better imo. I'd say it is much worth the extra $ to go with NVIDIA. I know that will be my next move.

It could be because of the temps. Use a fan controller like RivaTuner to speed the fan up. Then try it out again.

Which brand of the card is it? Also, did you make sure to install the most up-to-date drivers and adjust the fan settings with RivaTuner as Baez suggested? Crysis never has been an ATI Card's favorite game, but I don't see any reason why his card was running slower than yours unless for some reason in CCC the dual-gpu was disabled and you are only running off of one gpu.

We moved the fans up a little, to about 65%. I do not recall his brand off hand now. I want to say it was saphire. We didn't diable anything in CCC and it was the most recent drivers. 8.12

Just odd. Is it possible that you need to enable the second gpu? Where in CCC do you have this option?

We moved the fans up a little, to about 65%. I do not recall his brand off hand now. I want to say it was saphire. We didn't diable anything in CCC and it was the most recent drivers. 8.12

Just odd. Is it possible that you need to enable the second gpu? Where in CCC do you have this option?

It is possible that you need to enable it. I'm not at my PC at home, nor do I have a dual-gpu card with me, so I can't look it up for you at the moment, but I know there are many here with 4870X2 that could possibly point it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom