DUAL cpu or SINGLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomer

Baseband Member
Hi guys I serve alot of fps games like task force dagger,black hawk down,and joint operations,now I am wanting to build a faster server.I am looking at some dual cpu mobo`s and what I want to know is if they would be worth it for the performance difference,I serve and play the games,so would a dual cpu bord server me better or maybe a single cpu athlon 64 do the job?If I could get the dual cpu to run like 1 serve while the other running my graphics this would work ok,but is this possible?Currently I am running a sucky celeron 2.0,which is just my server I know my athlonxp would run the server better but it is my personal pc,and I don`t like to leave it up 24/7 like the throw away one lol.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Psht, going from celeron to dual anything will be an insane improvement. Celeron is the low end of the pentiums. I'm not 100% sure about having one cpu do this and the other do that.....I thought that it just basically divided the load between them....like you can get two network cards and have DSL and Cable Modem at the same time and make it so that your system transfers bandwidth between both and have the combined bandwidth so I think it might be something like that, but I have no knowledge of dual cpu motherboards. BUT....if you're going from a 2.0GHz Celeron and plan on upgrading to a dual processor mobo....get something besides celeron and yeah it should kickass

your games have to be multi-threaded....they have to support multiple CPU's to run faster or else they will run on one CPU and the other will not be used

Save your money and go single:rolleyes: Most programs aren't programmed to take advantage of Dual CPU's, and also thats what Hyper-Threading is supposed to mimic:confused:

Ahhh cool. I learned somethin new then =) I wasn't aware and frankly it didn't cross my mind that theyd have to be programmed to take advantage of the dual processors. I would have to agree with merlin then. Save your money and get a strong single CPU

oh cool so photoshop was written to be able to run on dual cpus? thats pretty cool. I've been using photoshop for about 5 years now....it was a b!tch using that thing on my 750MHz Duron with 384 Ram back in the day. Can you believe I also had 3D Studio Max 4 installed on that 750MHz duron too!?! God knows how the hell I was able to withstand those slow speeds

good god, no I can't imagine photoshop on a 200MHz machine...I had an old PC-133 machine buuuuut I don't believe I was into photoshop at the time

i used everything on my 550 mhz. photoshop wasnt that bad...
argh the major when are u getting a new comp im surprised u still use a computer like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom