Old HDD New Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonz358

Baseband Member
just found out when I get my new mobo and cpu next week my hdd im using now won't work with new mobo unless I do a clean install but the problem is I dont have a vista cd to do a clean install so are there any other ways to do this?

Is this on an HP, Dell, Gateway where Vista was preinstalled or a custom case?

A set of recovery disks can be made from the recovery partition itself by reviewing the instructions seen at the manufacturer's support site. Once the new drive is in you would install Windows with the set and download the updates available at the support site to start off fresh.

Is this on an HP, Dell, Gateway where Vista was preinstalled or a custom case?

A set of recovery disks can be made from the recovery partition itself by reviewing the instructions seen at the manufacturer's support site. Once the new drive is in you would install Windows with the set and download the updates available at the support site to start off fresh.

its on a old HP Compaq dc5000 that had xp first....I'm a lil confused on what your saying to do tho cuz I couldn't find the recovery disc from the site but I did download a vista recovery disc, will that work?

Did you download a recovery disk from Neosmart? That is intended for seeing the repair tools available not for installing Windows.

Since the factory preinstall was XP what was used to see an upgrade to Vista? an upgrade disk? full install version?

With a brand new drive in you will need either an upgrade disk to upgrade from an older version of Windows or a full install dvd to see a new copy of Windows go on. With a new board and cpu along with a new drive you simply have to start fresh by the one option of buying a new Vista dvd.

Did you download a recovery disk from Neosmart? That is intended for seeing the repair tools available not for installing Windows.

Since the factory preinstall was XP what was used to see an upgrade to Vista? an upgrade disk? full install version?

With a brand new drive in you will need either an upgrade disk to upgrade from an older version of Windows or a full install dvd to see a new copy of Windows go on. With a new board and cpu along with a new drive you simply have to start fresh by the one option of buying a new Vista dvd.

yea neosmart....yea I have the full install version, I have vista downloaded on my computer already and windows 7(on a different hard drive so I will have to reinstall that too) so I was thinking I should burn the iso to an dvd but thats where its gets even better lol my cd drive doesn't burn dvds so imma buy a cheap dvd burner too...even more problems because the drive I was going to get is a sata drive so I cant even use it until I get the new mobo working lol everything going wrong....So I locked into my computer and seen that the psu has a sata power connector but the mobo doesn't lol

With the board lacking any sata ports you would need to add in a separate controller card. Without a dvd burner? That's a must have these days! :p

Besides Vista coming on a dvd and now the 7 beta seeing dvd iso you have to figure that games along with other softwares will seen on dvds too. That and no sata ports on the board along with no installation disk for Windows is like trying to get around in a life boat without the oars!

If you have an external drive or a large enough thumb drive you could put the iso on that and take it to someone with a dvd burner and burn it there.

With the board lacking any sata ports you would need to add in a separate controller card. Without a dvd burner? That's a must have these days! :p

Besides Vista coming on a dvd and now the 7 beta seeing dvd iso you have to figure that games along with other softwares will seen on dvds too. That and no sata ports on the board along with no installation disk for Windows is like trying to get around in a life boat without the oars!

my drive plays dvds but not burn....well I was thinking this may be my best solution, imma buy this dvd drive and put it in this computer then burn vista as a iso to a blank dvd....hope that works :)

Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Just over 2.5gb for the 32bit iso and about 3.3gb for the 64bit iso when downloaded. A 4gb drive would see one while an 8gb for both together. A PNY 16gb runs about $50- retail while a dvd burner can found for half that at newegg as you can see there.

The one thing you can do on a friend's machine would be to log in for downloading 7 onto that machine to see it burned to a blank there. That will save on the extra cost of buying a flash drive simply to carry the iso with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom