Win 7 Compatability mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
I was reading that Vista has this feature too, but I have not seen it or it is not as apparent as it is in Win 7.

I think it rocks I am able to use/ run drivers designed for XP to run things like my old TV Tuner card, old on board Via vga chipset etc.. The vga does not run Aero but it gives me refresh rate choices that the standard vga drivers would not.
But when I tried to install an older version of Zone Alarm Sec Suite (version 7) it caused blue screens etc.. so other than old security programs, it appears to be very user friendly. ( I have a lifetime licsense for ZA v.7 thats why I tried it)

Some things simply won't go on 7 as I have been finding out here even if written for Vista. While most device drivers go on without a hitch you are going to have to expect some thing won'r simply from being a rather new version of Windows.

Many things from XP and older would run on Vista while things written for XP won't even install at the same time. Yet get this some old games that ran on 98 will run well on 7! Figure that one out. :p

Since 7 is still in beta you may want to continue dual booting and see how a freeware like Comodo works out for you there until the newer version of ZA comes out. As far as seeing XP drivers work on 7 for a tuner card? Gee that's a thought here since the Vista drivers won't!

Some things simply won't go on 7 as I have been finding out here even if written for Vista. While most device drivers go on without a hitch you are going to have to expect some thing won'r simply from being a rather new version of Windows.

Many things from XP and older would run on Vista while things written for XP won't even install at the same time. Yet get this some old games that ran on 98 will run well on 7! Figure that one out. :p

Since 7 is still in beta you may want to continue dual booting and see how a freeware like Comodo works out for you there until the newer version of ZA comes out. As far as seeing XP drivers work on 7 for a tuner card? Gee that's a thought here since the Vista drivers won't!

Yea, re-installing Win 7 on a pc on my network (Hence the old hardware)
as a second boot where XP SP3 is the main OS on that one. (athlon 1.1ghz with 1 gig ddr) according to the specs those are the min requirements for Win 7 along with 156 of GPU Ram, which that machine has only 64 of on-board. much better than Vista that requires double of all these.

Yes it is in Vista. It is also in XP before SP2 and still might be.

Right click the Executable file. Select Properties. There you will see the Compatibility Tab.

Compatibility.png

Now check the box and click okay. It was in Vista for sure.

For the record if you use hardware that only has XP Drivers, be prepared to be disappointed. Not much of the XP Drivers are working. Some are but many are not.

ZA has a Beta release for Vista x64 but it just brings your system and bandwidth to its knees. and I reported the issue to them.

Comodo does not work on Win 7 x86 or x64

AVG their latest Security Suite Trial DL works on Win 7 and their latest AVG 8 freeware works too.

Yes it is in Vista. It is also in XP before SP2 and still might be.

Right click the Executable file. Select Properties. There you will see the Compatibility Tab.

Compatibility.png

Now check the box and click okay. It was in Vista for sure.

For the record if you use hardware that only has XP Drivers, be prepared to be disappointed. Not much of the XP Drivers are working. Some are but many are not.

Good to know, I would have saved some money on getting a newer TV Tuner card.. I have 3 now. lol

The compatibility tab doesn't work like you would think it would especially if you are unable to run the installer or receive not compatible with version errors. Once you see a program go on ok then you would go there to see if that will help any when trying to run a particular program.

AVG 8.0 free will go right on and put up the active shield. Be advised however that the initial scan here on 7 saw a major lockup. Windows still loaded right back up once the reset button was pressed but 7 is still in beta form at present while most other things have actually run better.

As far as tuner cards I have one here now supposedly Vista compatible but only works in XP. The second one displays well in Vista but won't record. A total grey washout is seen when tried on 7. I'll be trying the XP drivers next to see if that helps any.

That is why you set Compatibility Mode before you try to run the installer. It will run then. If it installs is a different story. If the program is not compatible trying to force compatibility with this is the best way to go.

That is the whole purpose of Compatibility. If it doesnt run or you get the version error this will bypass it.

You first have to have a desktop shortcut in order to set the compatibilty mode however. You can'r right click on something that isn't there until installed first and then run in a compatibility mode.

Once a program is on you can then see if that will work. I've run into a good number of occasions with Vista and XP where trying to run something in let's 9x-ME mode simply didn't get very far. Programs written for one specific version alone tend to run into that for the most part however.

No. You can do this to a executable file to get it to install. I have done this with Driver installer packages and application installer packages.

There is no need to try and see if it will install and then run the program itself in compatibility mode. You can run just the installer itself in compatibility mode.

Which will allow for the install of the program. At which time you can run it. On rare occasions you have to also mark the program exe file to compatibility mode as well to have it run correctly.

But no you do not have to wait for a desktop icon to appear from the install of the program. You can do this on a installer or a executable file.

No. You can do this to a executable file to get it to install. I have done this with Driver installer packages and application installer packages.

There is no need to try and see if it will install and then run the program itself in compatibility mode. You can run just the installer itself in compatibility mode.

Which will allow for the install of the program. At which time you can run it. On rare occasions you have to also mark the program exe file to compatibility mode as well to have it run correctly.

But no you do not have to wait for a desktop icon to appear from the install of the program. You can do this on a installer or a executable file.

Agreed; I've had to do this multiple times as well, especially on drivers (audio drivers especially; Creative ones would only work in Vista compatibility mode). Have had to do it for some programs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom