RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMDC_

Solid State Member
I'm looking at adding some more RAM to my machine and I'd like some help deciding what to get. I currently have 2GB (2x1GB) of Crucial ballistix (DDR2 800).

I looked at getting another identical kit to bring my total up to 4GB, but the website I will be buying these from (I live in NZ so can't use newegg or whatever) has a 4GB (2x2GB) kit of G Skill Pi Black for the same price as the 2x1GB Crucial kit, and for $50 (NZ) less than the 2x2GB Ballistix.

I want to know if mixing memory brands can cause any problems. Should I get the 4GB G Skill kit in addition to my 2GB of Crucial (all at same speed/latencies)? I'd like to keep using my current memory in addition to whatever I get because I doubt I could find anyone to sell it to. What's my best option?

I think it depends on the situation. Sometimes mixing ram can cause problems, sometimes it works. I think that 4 gigs is plenty, and that your best investment is to get the G.Skill PIs, and try to sell the Ballistix. The PIs are awesome sticks of memory.

I've heard a lot of people recommend Pi Blacks, but I don't really know what's good about them. Are they insane overclockers or something?

I really doubt that I can find someone to buy my Ballistix... I really don't know anyone who'd be interested.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't keep them for 6GB? I'm not currently overclocking much, but I might later when I can be bothered. I can always take them out if they're proving too much trouble. Is it likely that there will be compatibility issues due to the different brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom