Upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses08

Baseband Member
Hi,

I need to upgrade my computer. I want to play games such as EverQuest II and Half Life 2.

Here's the specs:

Pentium 4 - 1.6 GhZ
ASUS P4B 266C Motherboard
256MB DDR
GeForce2 64MB MX400

I want to upgrade the ram to at least 512 and get the Geforce 6600 GT once it comes out. Will this be able to run next generation games well at pretty high settings?

Not really...I'm going to just get rid of it and buy 512 MB or 1GB...My mobo can only suppost like 2100 though I think.

You can get a newer mobo for like $60 that'll support PC3200 memory. Bah...well I don't know for a pentium based board...but you can with an AMD based board anyway =) You're right on getting the new memory. But I'd HIGHLY suggest upgrading your motherboard and processor. Get those upgraded and you'll get a little boost, but the main purpose would be to give room for future upgrades for gaming!

You defiantly need a new mobo and CPU's because otherwise it will bottleneck the other upgrades:confused:

You defiantly need a new mobo and CPU's because otherwise it will bottleneck the other upgrades
Yup....that bottleneck will kill you in the long run. Better to have patience and slowly build up a good strong system than buy a card thats far superior to your current setup lol

You'd practically need a new system. ESP. More RAM, New GPU & CPU. You'd probably need to update your MOBO too somewhere along the line. What speed is your HD?

Yea, upgrade your entire system. Get an Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+; Asus K8V Deluxe mobo; Radeon 9800 Pro (excelent value card); I don't know how the 6600GT will stack up, but my friend with the 9800 Pro cuts through any game he throws at it with all graphics maxed out, and its not all that expensive. I would definately suggest it.

I don't know how the 6600GT will stack up
It'll kick the 9800's ass thats for sure. Its the mainstream model of the 6800....gonna have 500MHZ core and memory speed I believe with 128mb DDR3 memory and 8 pipelines. Not everycan upgrade to an athlon 64 so for his case I doubt he can afford that overhaul you suggest beedubaya....we'd all buy that if we could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom