Question regarding switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi all,

I think I know the answer, but I want this clarifying.

At home, I have a Linksys router, capable of speeds of 10/100mbps. From the router, to my bedroom I have a Cat6 cable that goes into a 10/100mbps switch, which is used to feed my PC, PS3 and laptop with a wired connection to the Internet.

However, my PC and PS3 have gigabit ports. Someone suggested I upgrade to a gigabit switch in my bedroom, so I'd be receiving 1000mbps, rather than 100.

Easier said than done, I say. Here's the problem - if my router is only capable of 10/100mbps...is there any point in getting a gigabit switch? Won't I have to buy a gigabit router? My thinking is that the switch will simply use speeds of 100mbps if my router is only capable of 100mbps? Or would the switch "boost" the transfer speed to a gigabit?

If anyone could clear this up for me, I'd be grateful.

Cheers.

Everyone connected to the switch would be able to communicate with each other at gigabit speeds. If the internet is the only thing coming from the router then it would not matter for your internet speeds are well below 100. The gigabit switch would make a huge difference in file transfers between the 3 units hooked into it. It would not make any difference for internet speeds.

Everyone connected to the switch would be able to communicate with each other at gigabit speeds. If the internet is the only thing coming from the router then it would not matter for your internet speeds are well below 100. The gigabit switch would make a huge difference in file transfers between the 3 units hooked into it. It would not make any difference for internet speeds.

Cheers mate. So basically, for Internet speeds (downloading files) I wouldn't see any difference (because that relies solely on my broadband speed anyway) however, transferring files to say, my NAS and other devices on the network would be noticably faster?

Yes. If you transfer a lot of large files, have lan parties or stream video and music as I do then gigabit is very nice. If you just web surf and play online games then it is pointless.

Keeping in mind it will only work fast for devices with gigabit ethernet cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom