New Computer System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses08

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm interested in buying a new computer system for gaming mostly. I'm thinking of an AMD 64 of some type. I'm hoping to spend under $1000 Canadian. The graphics cards with be a GeForce 6600 GT I hope.

Please post some ideas. Thanks.

GeForce 6600 GT

You mean the 6800 not 6600....getting a GT is a good idea...I hear you can overclock those with a decent amount of ease up to Ultra speeds without having the downfalls of the ultra such as needing two molex connectors to power it. If you want to OC like that I'd suggest getting eVGA brand geforce. If you want to stay under $1000 canadian...which I have absolutely no idea how much that translates into.....get a Socket 939 board and whatever 64 chip you can afford. The Socket 939 board I'd suggest either ABit or MSI....ABit for more overclockability and more options in the BIOS....I personally don't like ASUS but a lot of people will say they are good but its your choice. a Socket 939 motherboard will cost approximately $125 (US) and the cheapest socket 939 processor is the AMD 64 3500+ I believe which is about $367 (US) so there's $500 (US) plus the GT is like what.....$399(US)? so that'll be like $900(US) which I think is more than $1000 canadian? I don't know.....but yeah theres some general info for ya

ahh cool. Didn't even know. Should have known though, they always have their 'Performance Models' vs the 'Mainstream Models' which is what that 6600 would be. After reading that review I might have to look into myself! Looks to prove itself quite worthy. Interesting note:

NVIDIA quite simply mops the floor with the X600, sending ATI back to the dog house to lick its wounds. All things being relative, we don't' even think four more pixel pipelines on the X600 would help make up the performance deficit it finds itself in.

With a more than double performance ratio, nobody should even consider ATI's card - it costs the same price and clearly gets blown out of the water.

Hehehe ATI Loses again. The fact that they put the DDR3 memory into the 6600 is nice! Thats kind of a surprise the 128mb 6800 doesn't even have DDR3 memory. Of course having the gig of RAM and the SATA hard drive help in their benchmarks but hell they have cas4 kingston ram! So they aren't even using hyperX or anything like that it looks like. Also using that 3.6 pentium helps...but still yeah...lol thanks for showing me the light on that...Looks like it'll definitely be a worthy buy.

EDIT: Anyone know when the 512mb of the 6800 is supposed to be out?

Yes, the 6600 GT is a very good choice and I would indeed go with a AMD64, perhaps a 3200+ would fit your budget? It the best "cheap" AMD right now;)

the 3200+ is Socket 754 though. Socket 939 would be better because AMD will continue to build upon and upgrade that series motherboard and processor whereas the others they won't. Part of the reason I suppose why socket 939 is a little more expensive. But I'm sure a couple people can back me up on the fact that it'd be a better choice than 754 or even 940 for that matter

EDIT: But yeah the 3200+ might be able to fit more within your budgets :p probably atleast like $100-$150(US) cheaper than the 3500+ chip

lol yeah that is true so either way it'd be an insane performance increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom