Budget SLI system

Status
Not open for further replies.
if your selling a g92, do not turn around and buy 2 more of them to sli with.
if anything, just get another 8800gts and run them as a pair. but...

go with the gtx 200 series, just one will do you well like the above posters said.

if you're set on a dual card setup 2 4850s can be found for about $300 and will best just about anything else you could get for that price (only bad thing is that ATI sux with their driver updates), but a single Core 216 will be more compatible with a wide variety of games and benchmarks and will still give you awesome performance

I was under the impression that when the GTX series was released, Nvidia was trying to breach the gap between their rendering cards and gaming cards. Are the GTX260 really more able than a good sli system or a X2 system? How are they at OCing?
I'm still skeptical about them. My immediate instinct would be to buy a 9800GX2 or something of the like. Higher clock core and I know they're good OCers. 256 stream cpus.
Why would I want a GTX?

June 16th 2008

GTX260 vs. 9800GX2: The GTX260 finds itself in an interesting position. While it usually falls slightly behind the 9800GX2 in raw FPS, one must not forget that the 9800GX2 relies on profiles and AFR for its performance. When you take these things into account, it becomes difficult to recommended the 9800GX2 over a single GTX260. Other advantages offered by the GTX260 include being equipped with the more reasonable 2ea 6 pin connector configuration as well as the reduced power requirements. While short of the GTX280's 1GB configuration, the GTX260's 896MB of memory is far above the 512MB limitation suffered by the 9800GX2, which will allow it to pull ahead in certain situations, such as Crysis, at High Settings. The GTX260 retails for $400US, which further puts the 9800GX2 in a difficult place. With all these factors in mind, we will not be at all surprised to see the 9800GX2 quickly phased out.

source

You can get 260's for around $250 now. The article is old that is why I put the date on it. It is worth the $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom