Computer has no sound, but the motherboard beeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

avfcalex

Solid State Member
Okay, let me map this out for you.
No sound, but every time someone signs in on msn, you usually get a little (du du du) sound or when someone messages you, the same (du du du) sound. However, my motherboard just now goes (beep) for a split second, every tiem this happens. I cant play music, youtube videos, anything, my sound just isnt working.

Now, this may be a problem with my sound card. I don't know where to find drivers, ive already installed three free realtek ones, put my motherboard number and computer make into google, with 'sound' drive placed behind it, and nothing seems to help from installs that way.

Also, before you tell me to go to the control panel, bla de bla bla, i've already checked this, but everything is in grey colour, i cant click anything on the volume preferences, it says i don't have a sound device at all.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You don't have to go through the control panel>system but simply right click on the MyComputer or Computer icon for a look in the "Device Manager" under the sound, video, and game controllers section since everyone seems to forget to look for any yellow marked items there.

When right clicking on any found simply select the update driver option where Windows will search for the correct drivers or let you browse to a folder. The greyed out means the drivers never were fully installed.

Ok, didn't work. So here's what i've found from trying that.
In device manager, under sound, video and game controllers, i have :
1. Audio codecs
2.Legacy audio drivers
3.Legacy video capture devices
4. Media control devices
5. Video codecs

Tried updating the lot, and it says, windows could not find a better match, try the help section.

Next idea please man, i'm so frsutrated with this, cheers mate.

have you get itunes installed? I had teh same prob, turns out itunes had disabled the sound drivers or something and tried to put something else in or turn something else on.
Deleting it fixedd everything.

That was only if you ran into anything yellow marked there showing a driver or two didn't go on fully. With a normal appearance Windows never made the drivers active which means removing and then reinstalling them over after restarting the system for each step to see if Windows will redetect the onboard chip and prompt for the drivers.

Once Windows does that you should see the drivers made active when installed fresh again. If you have Itunes+Quicktime on SOULphIRE's suggestion would be worth a look as well.

Ok, so i literally have to remove the sound card from the tower of the PC?
and no itunes are on here =)

He was talking about removing the drivers, not the sound card.

It would be best if you looked for the drivers yourself. Do you know the make and model of the motherboard? Or, if it is a prebuilt, the make and model of the computer? This is so we can look up the actual chip it has and can find the current drivers for it.

If you have an actual sound card, give the make and model of it.

Ok, as much as i am a whizz on computers, when it comes to hardware im the biggest noob around.

In the most simple plain, non technical english, please can you explain your above post, how do i remove or check the drivers, and get my motherboard name etc. I don't know the make of the computer, due to a new case being made for it.

Manufacturer, NANYA technology

Motherboard SiS-755

BIOS brand is Phoenix Technologies, LTD

please keep helping guys, this is appreciated

ps. Mobile AMD processer ATHLON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom