i7 vs Quad-Core and other questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
great info. I am new to the forum and I have the some similar questions as the poster. However, when I was in microcenter I saw an i7 pc for $1,299. I was planning on building a pc, but lately I have been seeing already put together machines for a decent price. I think I am sold on the i7 (btw thank you), but now I am not sure about building one. Any help?

I would like to spend around $1,300.
I do not use my pc for games(atleast not currently), but I do watch movies,edit music and I would like to watch tv on it.

If you don't use your PC for gaming or high end programs then an i7 machine is a waste of money. You could save heaps getting a decent quad or 2 duo machine

yeah, c2d prices are a steal atm, especially with how cheap you can pick up ram and a low profile 9 series/4000 series card.

i wouldnt spend so much on a p6t, get a biostar tpowerx58, cheaper and overclocking ability doesnt get any better then the biostar boards latley. (holds record) the rest of the build before me is great.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that if I bought a Quad, I wouldn't need to upgrade in 2 years since all the new programs coming out require so much memory and processing power.

Which Quad processor do you like the best? Most everything I have been told is that the Intel runs more efficiently than the AMD? true?

On newegg.com the Core i7 is the same price (just about) as the Q9550
and the Q6600 combo is only $140 cheaper....this is where I get stuck, so if I go with a Quad which one? but if the price is similar to an i7.... ?????

Intel just announced a price cut on alot of their processors - so either it hasnt come throught to the retail prices yet, or the Q9550 wasnt one of them, i cant remember. I would say a Q9400 would do you well, or if you want to go AMD, then a Phenom II 940.

AMD as of late havent quite been producing chips as powerful as Intel (it used to be the other way around) but the current Phenom II chips are about on par with the Intel Penryn series (Q9550, Q9400 etc.).

If you get a quad, it will last you two years, even if you want to game.

ok now onto the cache. haha

L2 or L3? whats better?

and is it better to have 12mb L2 or 4mb L2 or 6mb L3???

or even a 2 x 4mb L2? as on the intel Q6600?

Don't worry about the specs, focus on the sheer CPU strength.. a q6600 is just not worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom