Dual CPU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayenem

Baseband Member
Hey everybody, first time posting here.

I have plans to build a computer in the up-coming weeks. It's been a long time since Ive built my own so Im out of the loop when it comes to hardware.

This new PC will be dedicated to multi media functions, i.e.- editing/creating audio and video.

My original plan was to buy a very fast cpu and call it good. Then a friend suggested dual processors. I think this is a great idea- however Ive never built a dual cpu machine before.

Ssoo... one simple, yet, very broad open ended question:

What types of things should I keep in mind when building this machine- motherboard and CPU wise?

Thanks a mill!

Eh, the payoffs are only marginal in most cases. That's why dual-proc boards aren't sweeping the market.

A really good single-chip board is better than a cheap dual-proc system.

And you don't need to bold yer whole message. We can hear you.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I know you can hear me, it was just to make it look presentable. Plain text can be boring.

my eyes are bleeding from the bold! I saw an MSI server board with dual opteron and up to 24gigs of RAM lol...that should be good for video editing. But yeah you could probably build a really strong single CPU computer.

What bold? psshh you guys are crazy..seeing things I tell ya! :D

Im hoping somebody can back up their reply about how a single proc will do just fine against a dual?(hope that doesnt sound rude, not my intension.) Can I get some explanations/details please? thank you much.

Well it depends...the Dual CPU's use different processors than a single CPU system...so I don't believe you could just make a dual AMD 64 Processor ya see? You'd have to get the dual Opteron or dual Xeon...and I know NOTHING about the Xeons so I can't back up anything on that. The main point is..the CPU's that go in the Dual CPU processors aren't built with the same architecture and ability to process information like a strongly built single CPU such as the AMD 64 based on the fact that they'd be sharing information between two processors so they are able to back down the abilities of the chip knowing it won't be alone in being bombarded with information if that makes any sense to ya :D I believe the Opteron is just a replacement for the Duron so if you know the basics of the Duron you'll know what I'm talking about. The Duron is the low end of the AMD Series so in a sense so is the Opteron but of course its been updated specifically for dual processor use and even single processor use but still better architecture than the Duron had cause its just outdated now. I'm gonna assume the Xeons are similar? But again I don't know fully about the Xeons, don't know intel :D

So the most simplistic terms I guess I could tell you would be its like two Durons vs one AMD 3200+. the 3200+ is simply designed to take the entire burden for big number crunching and gaming and such while the Duron is based on simple mathematics and business use not gaming. So now you got Dual Opteron vs AMD 64.....so you see what he means by seeing marginal differences? You're basically using two lower end processors to make up for one strong processor, BUT since they can share the load its good for servers for heat reasons because a single CPU would take quite the beating I believe in a server situation. Sorry for rambling hope this answered something, I'm somewhat tired and have forgotten what I wrote way up top by the time I got down here lol :D

ayenem said:
What bold? psshh you guys are crazy..seeing things I tell ya! :D

pssh . . . we can still see the littled edited by ayenem on the bottom . . .

Nubius said:
With Detective Koldapu on the case! Nothing slips by! lol
aahhahahah yeah i know, hes quick. He knew I was joking right?.. i hope so.

And thank you for the explanation. I am now pointed in a good direction to start researching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom