Very Strange Delayed Write Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_x

Beta member
I had several issues in a short period of time including failing drives, a burned out monitor, and unresponsive cd/dvd roms. One other issue was being plagued with a constant "Delayed Write Error" msg.
After trying every trick I found online to deal with the error and having no luck, I felt the only alternative was a new motherboard.
After purchasing and installing the new motherboard, ram, and video card, I then began with a clean install of windows XP.
I was sure that would suss all my problems.
It did cured all but the error message.
The curious thing is the message began on a drive that had never before given me problems.

If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears, cuz I'm totally baffled.

If it helps, I did notice starting a media player (used both zoom and jetaudio to test) while accessing the drive immediately received the error.

TIA

So wait. What are you doing when this error pops up? Also, did you get a new HDD or new optical drives?

What are you doing when this error pops up?
Cuss, and cry mostly. Other than that, restart the PC. Nothing else.

Also, did you get a new HDD or new optical drives?
No new HDDs, but I did get a new internal optical drive that has worked fine as well as an external that did not work before but does with the new system.

However, the error msg was always occurring on a particular internal HDD. Now the error is on an external HDD.

What I meant was what were you doing with the computer when the error happened, transferring files? It sounds like it's the internal HDD, since it would also affect the external plugged into the computer as well.

No real pattern. Sometimes I wont even be directly using the drive.

Before the new gear, it was when ever I opened my browser, or opened Photoshop (which greatly hindered my work flow).
Now, it's the media player (keeping in mind that it's not one specific media player) and other times, that I have not yet found a connection to yet.

It still sounds like a HDD problem. Even if you aren't using it constantly, it still accesses files...if I were you, I would grab a new HDD from Wal-Mart, install XP, see if you have problems...if it works for you, then return the HDD, then buy a cheaper one on newegg. ;)

I will give it a try. It seems odd that it would happen to a drive that otherwise should not be accessed when I get the error. Also, (I should have added) I am able to transfer files to and from the drive (mostly) without error.

Let me run this pass you. Could the same issue arise due to power issues?
The 520w power supply is the only peice (other than the drives) left of the old system.

I doubt it...it sounds like an HDD problem specifically. If you were having PSU problems, this wouldn't be the only error you were getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom