RAM cooling: Mem pipes or fans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
All my Asus boards say its for water

"This small chipset fan is designed to be clipped onto the chipset heatsink only in a setup whereby there is virtually no airflow at all in the CPU area, such as in a water cooling setup. The chipset heatsink-***-heatpipe cooling system can otherwise, according to ASUS, operate passively without issues."

ASUS Commando P965 - VR-Zone.com: News and Reviews

Yeah not arguing. I've seen those messages too in a lot of manuals. But most companies don't say anything except that you should use it when overclocking.

To tell you the truth I haven't seen other mobo's come w/ optional fans like Asus'. If you air cool it would be pointless to use them as it draws air down into the heatsinks that will create turbulence instead of exiting out the back. You would take hot air from the cpu to throw back down on the mosfets and NB.

Really? A lot of the eVGA, Biostar and Gigabyte boards I've worked with have them. Most of them are only for clients though so I have about 30 little useless fans lying in a bin here :p.

my gigabyte boards never came w/ them. I've had optional heatsinks w/ my gigabyte p45 extreme board but never any fans. I usually just throw those fans out anyways. I find them useless.

edit:
I'm talking about these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom