Doom 3 graphical errors (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomUK

Daemon Poster
I don't know whether this should have been put in the gaming section, but there's something I've just noticed...

I'm using an XFX Geforce 6800 GT. OK, this is very hard to explain, but on certain textures in the game when I strafe left or right the bottom part of the object/texture of the screen moves differently to the top half, like the bottom half stays still for a fraction of a second (1 frame, I suppose), but the top half moves normally?

What the hell is this? It only happens in Doom 3. I'm very interested to know what's causing this; is there a problem with my card of is it a screw up with the engine?... I've tryed capturing a screenshot but it doesn't show up...

Sounds like you are experiencing some image tearing. This happens when the frames are not synchronized (basically). You can resolve this issue by enabling Vertical Sync.

Keep in mind that Vertical Sync should be enabled on both the game and the video card itself, as many games often override the video card's settings.

Enabling Vertical Sync takes a SERIOUS toll on the games performamce, losing (on average) a good 7-10 fps... so what else can I try?

Still can't beleive anyone would buy an FX right now. Untested leading edge barely-supported money pit. And at an MSRP of $600 bucks?

:mad: CHRIST :mad:

You can always ping NVIDIA about this problem, too, ya know. They're pretty good about recieving bugs.

DoomUK, if u run Doom3 at an avearage of 60fps, there will be no image tearing.

if your ona CRT monitor, witch i asume u are otherwise u would experience image tearing anyway... u dont need to run Doom on high or ultra ona CRT, u wont see any difference.

u can also run Doom in 16bit color depth instead of 32bit (only on CRT) u wont see any difference, but u may double your FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom